Detroit's new public smoking ban worries Leyland

Feb 16, 2010, 11:45 AM EST

Michigan has apparently passed a new law that will make all public places become “smoke free” in May and unfortunately for Tigers manager Jim Leyland “public places” includes Comerica Park.
Leyland learned of the law while appearing on a radio show yesterday and said that he plans to follow the rules, but added:

Is it banned all over? Really … then I’ve got a problem. Houston, we’ve got a problem. I’m not saying that I won’t cheat once in awhile. I’m not going to lie.

Leyland was known for smoking in the dugout during games and, once that became frowned upon, lighting up in the clubhouse ramp between innings. He also once had a quote that must have made cigarette makers smile, saying: “Sometimes, smoking is fantastic.”
If the Tigers have a great April and then struggle once the calendar flips to May, we may know why.

1. Josh in DC - Feb 16, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Good for Michigan.

2. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 16, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Smoke em on ya way to the mound Jimmy, what will they do, throw him out the game.That would be funny.

3. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 16, 2010 at 1:29 PM

4. Old Gator - Feb 16, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Yeah, and having a lung removed, suffocating slowly and/or having an enunciator installed in your adam’s apple – not to mention stinking to beat the band 24 hours a day – are all also “fantastic.”

5. Rays fan - Feb 16, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Hear, hear!

6. YX - Feb 17, 2010 at 10:55 AM

You should be able to do what the heck you want with your body after making it pass sixty.
    My gramp smoked two packs a day for nearly seventy years with nothing to show for it, but he ended up jumping off a bridge when they forced him to quit.

7. Old Gator - Feb 17, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I agree completely – assuming you do it to your own body, period. If you go off in some corner and poison yourself, more power to you. In fact I wish that some folks, like, oh, Ann Coulter, would just hook themselves up to one of those nightmarish through-the-esophagus smoke pumps they used on lab dogs before the public caught on, and get it the hell over with already. I just don’t want to have to inhale that shit too. Someone else’s so-called “freedom” ain’t that important to me.
    And if you’re going to jump off a bridge, at least pick one with a couple of crisis hotline phones on it. You save your loved ones a lot of wear and tear that way.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5163)