How will Mike Lowell do in Sox camp?

Feb 16, 2010, 12:20 PM EDT

Rob Bradford of WEEI checks in from Fort Myers where he spoke with Theo Epstein about the awkwardness that will be the Mike-Lowell-in-camp dynamic:

“I don’t know that it will be that dicey. As I’ve said, it’s one of
those things that will take care of itself. Mike’s priority is our
priority, which is to get him healthy. Until that happens, there’s
really not much that can be done. He’s going to be a little bit behind
everybody else because of the surgery he had. we’re going to do
everything we can to help get him healthy. Once he gets healthy, it
will take care of itself. If he’s really impressive and impressive to
other clubs, maybe something can be worked out. If not, I’m sure
there’s nowhere else where Mike would rather take a bit of a lesser
role than here.”

That’s about as honest as an assessment as you’ll hear from a GM. Most of the time in such situations you’ll hear the front office say “we think Mike Lowell will be a big contributor, etc, etc.,” even if it’s not plausible. Maybe so that the player’s ego isn’t bruised, maybe because they think that by doing so it will make the guy a more attractive trade target.  It seems, however, that Lowell and Theo and are going to be spending this spring openly and honestly shopping the guy.

Not that it’s completely honest. Because really, does anyone think that the Red Sox want to keep Lowell on the team, riding the pine, making $12 million to be a utility guy who can’t play up the middle?  I don’t, and if the Sox can’t find a trading partner I’d be shocked if they didn’t simply cut Lowell in the interests of a more flexible bench.  I mean, its not like they’re not going to be paying most of his salary even if they trade him.

1. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 16, 2010 at 12:44 PM

I love when Theo is emotional, I get all warm and fuzzy.

2. johnnypovs - Feb 16, 2010 at 1:10 PM

IF he mends well and has a good spring, what are the chances of him landing in Minnesota? I would imagine that the front office would pay 2-3 mil. at the most of his salary. Boy, would the Nick Punto bashers love that one.

3. Matt M - Feb 16, 2010 at 2:43 PM

I don’t understand why they’d get rid of him. If you have to eat his salary either way, why not keep him as corner insurance and DH against lefties with huge splits? Reminds me of last year when they had too much starting pitching, but somehow they wound up pitching Paul Byrd throughout September.

4. Old Gator - Feb 16, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Everything I know about Coral Gables’ first citizen (I stalk him during the offseason, so I know a great deal) tells me that Lowell would appreciate Epstein’s honesty. He’s that kind of guy – even if his post-steroid deflation gave him away and even if he did take off from work and leave his non-Cuban teammates in the lurch on Elian Gonzalez day some years back (talk about a lost planet expedition!). But he was younger then and we can all learn, right? I mean, I only remarried once, and I will never feed Belushi, my beloved bagle hound, another italian turkey sausage again.

5. JudyJ - Feb 16, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Let’s see – Mike Lowell – hmm, can he still cry “foul” whenever a baseball comes within 50 feet of him? If so, he is worth his weight in gold. Otherwise, same old Mike the troll only a little older. They couldn’t get rid of him so what else can they do with him. Be nice and play nice in the sandbox – until they can unload him.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug