Feb 16, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Very cool news: Friend of the blog Scott Simkus and his partner in crime Gary Ashwill have entered into a deal with Sean Forman to build a Negro League and Cuban League database for Baseball-Reference.com. As you’ll recall, Simkus is the man behind the Negro Leagues version of Strat-O-Matic which was just released to very good notices, so he’s perfectly positioned for this.
So good for Scott on the gig. And great for us that we’ll soon — relatively soon anyway — have Negro Leagues and Cuban League stats on Baseball-Reference. Your ability to waste time on that most wonderful website will one day be exponentially greater.
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 6
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 13
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 11
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 58
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 21
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)