Feb 16, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Very cool news: Friend of the blog Scott Simkus and his partner in crime Gary Ashwill have entered into a deal with Sean Forman to build a Negro League and Cuban League database for Baseball-Reference.com. As you’ll recall, Simkus is the man behind the Negro Leagues version of Strat-O-Matic which was just released to very good notices, so he’s perfectly positioned for this.
So good for Scott on the gig. And great for us that we’ll soon — relatively soon anyway — have Negro Leagues and Cuban League stats on Baseball-Reference. Your ability to waste time on that most wonderful website will one day be exponentially greater.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 1
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 44
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 44
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 42
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)