Feb 16, 2010, 1:47 PM EDT
Diamondbacks top prospect and 2007 first-round pick Jarrod Parker met with Dr. James Andrews yesterday for his four-month checkup following Tommy John elbow surgery and was cleared to begin a throwing program.
Parker has been blogging about the whole rehab process and had this to say after receiving the good news from Andrews:
Being away from the game for the months I have been has really opened my eyes to the things that are taken for granted. Taking ground balls on the mound, going through bunt plays, shagging batting practice and just being a part of the clubhouse. Okay maybe I take that back about shagging BP, but I enjoy running around like a little kid and shagging like an outfielder is fun to me!
He’s definitely someone to root for, but there’s a long way from beginning a throwing program to appearing in a game and Parker stated that his goal is simply “to pitch somewhere this season.”
That likely means a few token appearances in the low minors late in the season and there’s definitely a strong chance that he won’t pitch at all in 2010, yet Parker still ranked 21st on MLB.com’s list of baseball’s best prospects and topped the Diamondbacks’ list at Baseball America.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)