Feb 16, 2010, 1:47 PM EDT
Diamondbacks top prospect and 2007 first-round pick Jarrod Parker met with Dr. James Andrews yesterday for his four-month checkup following Tommy John elbow surgery and was cleared to begin a throwing program.
Parker has been blogging about the whole rehab process and had this to say after receiving the good news from Andrews:
Being away from the game for the months I have been has really opened my eyes to the things that are taken for granted. Taking ground balls on the mound, going through bunt plays, shagging batting practice and just being a part of the clubhouse. Okay maybe I take that back about shagging BP, but I enjoy running around like a little kid and shagging like an outfielder is fun to me!
He’s definitely someone to root for, but there’s a long way from beginning a throwing program to appearing in a game and Parker stated that his goal is simply “to pitch somewhere this season.”
That likely means a few token appearances in the low minors late in the season and there’s definitely a strong chance that he won’t pitch at all in 2010, yet Parker still ranked 21st on MLB.com’s list of baseball’s best prospects and topped the Diamondbacks’ list at Baseball America.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)