Feb 16, 2010, 12:07 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Indians have reportedly made an offer to Branyan. It’s unclear at present if it’s a minor league deal or something with some real dollars attached. Either way, I think Branyan and the Indians go well together, so here’s hoping this gets done.
7:57 A.M.: Ken Rosenthal reports that Russell Branyan — a guy who hit 31 home runs last year but hasn’t had more than a nibble this winter — is talking with the Indians, Red Sox and Rays, but that things are furthest along with Cleveland. Branyan, you may recall, came up with the Indians in the death throes of their late-90s/early 2000s run, but the team didn’t like his defense or his strikeouts, shipped him out of town and went with guys like Casey Blake and Ben Broussard instead.
That was a long time ago, though, and lately the Indians have been trying to bargain hunt for a first base/corner outfield bat, showing some interest in Jermaine Dye as recently as last week. Each of those two have problems with the glove, but at least in Branyan’s case first base won’t be a land of experimentation like it would be for Dye. Each have question marks at the plate too. Was Dye’s first half or second half more indicative of what he might do this year? Is Branyan’s back healthy enough to where his 31 home runs last year are a reasonable expectation again?
From Branyan’s perspective, the Indians make more sense than the Red Sox or Rays because it’s fairly easy to
envision playing time in Cleveland, whereas both Boston’s and Tampa
Bay’s rosters are more crowded at the positions Branyan can play (1B, 3B,
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)