Feb 16, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT
When you think 1980s baseball, what do you think of first? Um, OK, fine, cocaine. How about after that? Well, yeah, tight pants are right up there, aren’t they? After that. That’s right, mustaches! At least longtime reader and frequent commenter The Common Man, does, and to that end he has put together The All-Time All-Mustache team, with photographic evidence of course.
It’s a lineup so good that the fact he leaves off Al Hrabowsky and Pete Vukovich isn’t even an oversight. And though I am something of a soup-strainer aficionado, I have to admit that I had completely overlooked the unadulterated beauty that was Ken Phelps’ late-career flavor-saver. Mercy.
But while the mustaches are indeed glorious, if you click over for just one reason, click over for Luis Tiant smoking a cigar in his underwear. That’s the kind of history you can’t get just anywhere, my friends.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 25
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 56
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)