Feb 16, 2010, 8:30 AM EST
When you think 1980s baseball, what do you think of first? Um, OK, fine, cocaine. How about after that? Well, yeah, tight pants are right up there, aren’t they? After that. That’s right, mustaches! At least longtime reader and frequent commenter The Common Man, does, and to that end he has put together The All-Time All-Mustache team, with photographic evidence of course.
It’s a lineup so good that the fact he leaves off Al Hrabowsky and Pete Vukovich isn’t even an oversight. And though I am something of a soup-strainer aficionado, I have to admit that I had completely overlooked the unadulterated beauty that was Ken Phelps’ late-career flavor-saver. Mercy.
But while the mustaches are indeed glorious, if you click over for just one reason, click over for Luis Tiant smoking a cigar in his underwear. That’s the kind of history you can’t get just anywhere, my friends.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 99
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 38
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 366
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (366)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (98)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (83)