Feb 16, 2010, 7:29 PM EDT
Tuesday: Jurrjens underwent the MRI late Tuesday afternoon, according to the AJC’s Dave O’Brien. The results, however, will not be available until Wednesday.
Monday, 9:42pm: Nothing can kill the optimism of pitchers and catchers quite like three scary letters: M-R-I
Braves fans were kicked in the gut tonight with the news that right-hander Jair Jurrjens will travel to Atlanta later this week for an MRI on his right shoulder. Jurrjens, who turned 24 last month, has experienced some lingering soreness in the shoulder after arriving early to the team’s Spring Training headquarters in Lake Buena Vista. According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, he told a team official that he felt a “twinge” while flipping a ball underhand during a recent game in his native Curacao.
Doesn’t sound good, but Jurrjens was examined by a team trainer who determined that his rotator cuff and labrum were structurally sound. It all sounds very precautionary, but you can bet that the Braves will do their due diligence with the promising right-hander.
Jurrjens was 14-10 with a 2.60 ERA and 1.21 WHIP in 34 starts last season, logging a new career-high with 215 innings. Concerns about the increased workload (26 2/3 more innings than 2008) are natural, though it doesn’t quite reach “Verducci Effect” levels of concern. It’s worth noting that he served a brief stint on the disabled list due to right shoulder inflammation during the 2007 season as a member of the Tigers. Might mean something. Might not. In any case, good thing the Braves have a pitching surplus! Oh wait.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)