Feb 16, 2010, 7:29 PM EDT
Tuesday: Jurrjens underwent the MRI late Tuesday afternoon, according to the AJC’s Dave O’Brien. The results, however, will not be available until Wednesday.
Monday, 9:42pm: Nothing can kill the optimism of pitchers and catchers quite like three scary letters: M-R-I
Braves fans were kicked in the gut tonight with the news that right-hander Jair Jurrjens will travel to Atlanta later this week for an MRI on his right shoulder. Jurrjens, who turned 24 last month, has experienced some lingering soreness in the shoulder after arriving early to the team’s Spring Training headquarters in Lake Buena Vista. According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, he told a team official that he felt a “twinge” while flipping a ball underhand during a recent game in his native Curacao.
Doesn’t sound good, but Jurrjens was examined by a team trainer who determined that his rotator cuff and labrum were structurally sound. It all sounds very precautionary, but you can bet that the Braves will do their due diligence with the promising right-hander.
Jurrjens was 14-10 with a 2.60 ERA and 1.21 WHIP in 34 starts last season, logging a new career-high with 215 innings. Concerns about the increased workload (26 2/3 more innings than 2008) are natural, though it doesn’t quite reach “Verducci Effect” levels of concern. It’s worth noting that he served a brief stint on the disabled list due to right shoulder inflammation during the 2007 season as a member of the Tigers. Might mean something. Might not. In any case, good thing the Braves have a pitching surplus! Oh wait.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 40
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 75
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)