Feb 16, 2010, 7:29 PM EST
Tuesday: Jurrjens underwent the MRI late Tuesday afternoon, according to the AJC’s Dave O’Brien. The results, however, will not be available until Wednesday.
Monday, 9:42pm: Nothing can kill the optimism of pitchers and catchers quite like three scary letters: M-R-I
Braves fans were kicked in the gut tonight with the news that right-hander Jair Jurrjens will travel to Atlanta later this week for an MRI on his right shoulder. Jurrjens, who turned 24 last month, has experienced some lingering soreness in the shoulder after arriving early to the team’s Spring Training headquarters in Lake Buena Vista. According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, he told a team official that he felt a “twinge” while flipping a ball underhand during a recent game in his native Curacao.
Doesn’t sound good, but Jurrjens was examined by a team trainer who determined that his rotator cuff and labrum were structurally sound. It all sounds very precautionary, but you can bet that the Braves will do their due diligence with the promising right-hander.
Jurrjens was 14-10 with a 2.60 ERA and 1.21 WHIP in 34 starts last season, logging a new career-high with 215 innings. Concerns about the increased workload (26 2/3 more innings than 2008) are natural, though it doesn’t quite reach “Verducci Effect” levels of concern. It’s worth noting that he served a brief stint on the disabled list due to right shoulder inflammation during the 2007 season as a member of the Tigers. Might mean something. Might not. In any case, good thing the Braves have a pitching surplus! Oh wait.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)