Feb 17, 2010, 1:50 PM EDT
Royals pitchers and catchers reported to spring training this morning and general manager Dayton Moore had this to say about the team’s offseason moves:
I love the moves that we’ve made this offseason. We wanted to get more athletic, and we wanted more team speed. Guys who could play better defense. And for a little over $8 million, we’ve added Chris Getz, Josh Fields, Rick [Ankiel], Scott Podsednik, Jason Kendall, Noel Arguelles and Brian Anderson.
All of those guys are very athletic and defensive-oriented players. They’re baseball players in the sense that they come to play. They’re winners. They’ve got great reputations in the game of being competitors. We like the moves a great deal.
I’m certainly not going to fault a GM for saying that he likes his own offseason moves, but all that other stuff is mostly nonsense and similar to what we’ve heard from Moore each spring since he got the job in 2006.
- “We wanted to get more athletic, and we wanted more team speed.”
- “They’re baseball players in the sense that they come to play.”
- “They’re winners.”
- “They’ve got great reputations in the game of being competitors.”
Just to be clear, he’s talking about Jason Kendall, Scott Podsednik, Rick Ankiel, Chris Getz, Brian Anderson, and Josh Fields. Meanwhile, he seems not to care a whole lot about getting on base or hitting for power, and doesn’t seem to realize that all those cliches about supposed intangibles don’t really matter when the team is terrible.
Kansas City has averaged 99 losses per season since their last winning record in 2003, and I can assure you that not having enough speedy, athletic winners who come to play and are competitors hasn’t been the problem.
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 27
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 61
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 113
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)