Feb 17, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
Eric Gagne talked the Rockies into giving him a tryout yesterday:
I basically called them up and said I’m ready. I want to find a place to play and see if you guys give me a shot. I have no expectation. I told them I can help this team. I’m healthy right now. If they think it’s good enough, that’s good.
Unfortunately it sounds like he wasn’t very impressive. Troy Renck of the Denver Post notes that Gagne “looks trimmer and more muscular after working with a mixed martial arts trainer” during the offseason, but added that he “remains a longshot to join Colorado after a pedestrian bullpen session.”
Rockies skipper Jim Tracy would no doubt love to give Gagne a comeback chance after managing him with the Dodgers, but the former Cy Young winner is 34 years old, hasn’t been effective against big-league hitters since mid-2007, and spent last season posting a 4.65 ERA in an independent Canadian league.
At best he’ll get a minor-league deal and have to work his way back to the majors with an impressive stint at Triple-A, but it seems unlikely that he’s even capable of that at this point. On the other hand, if he steps up the MMA training he could probably beat up Jose Canseco some day.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)