Eric Gagne has 'pedestrian' tryout with Rockies

Feb 17, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT

Eric Gagne talked the Rockies into giving him a tryout yesterday:

I basically called them up and said I’m ready. I want to find a place to play and see if you guys give me a shot. I have no expectation. I told them I can help this team. I’m healthy right now. If they think it’s good enough, that’s good.

Unfortunately it sounds like he wasn’t very impressive. Troy Renck of the Denver Post notes that Gagne “looks trimmer and more muscular after working with a mixed martial arts trainer” during the offseason, but added that he “remains a longshot to join Colorado after a pedestrian bullpen session.”
Rockies skipper Jim Tracy would no doubt love to give Gagne a comeback chance after managing him with the Dodgers, but the former Cy Young winner is 34 years old, hasn’t been effective against big-league hitters since mid-2007, and spent last season posting a 4.65 ERA in an independent Canadian league.
At best he’ll get a minor-league deal and have to work his way back to the majors with an impressive stint at Triple-A, but it seems unlikely that he’s even capable of that at this point. On the other hand, if he steps up the MMA training he could probably beat up Jose Canseco some day.

1. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Feb 17, 2010 at 2:33 PM

*sigh*
    Gagne pitched for the Quebec Capitales of the Canadian-American Association of Professional Baseball, nee the Northeast League. Its headquarters are in Durham, North Carolina.

2. jwb - Feb 17, 2010 at 3:13 PM

And Quebec is the only Canadian team in the Can-Am League. . .
    (Sussex is the one in New Jersey, not the one in New Brunswick)

3. Curious George - Feb 17, 2010 at 3:47 PM

I had a pedestrian tryout once. No good. I got hit by a car.

4. YX - Feb 17, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Before I always had problem spelling Gagme’s name, nevermore since 2007.

5. Omega in Colorado - Feb 17, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I feel bad for the guy, for a couple years he was THE thing in baseball. No one could touch him, then his skills fell off the table. Oh heck, his skills slipped of the edge of the Earth.
    I hope the Rockos at least give him a chance in the minors.
    And stop picking on my main main Jose, I think he could take Gagne, not many other people but probably Gagne.

6. Gelardia - Feb 17, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Why the Rockies and that launching pad they call a ball park? Why not a more pitcher friendly park?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5439)