Joel Zumaya is feeling good

Feb 17, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT

Zumaya2.jpgBetween Guitar Hero and the San Diego wild fires, there haven’t been many pitchers more snakebit than Joel Zumaya has been these past few years.  But that’s all behind him now, he tells The Detroit News’ Lynn Henning. He’s been training in Florida since the beginning of January and . . . dare we say it?

“That’s why I left my baby son and my wife, because I felt like I
hadn’t given this team enough the past three seasons, and with the
expectations, I want to make this season the best possible year for me
and for this team.  I didn’t want to go back (to California) during the off-season and lay
down in a chair. I just want to be on this team. I want to make this
team, if it’s as a set-up man, a closer, or long relief. I’m feeling great, the best I have in the last 2 1/2 years. I have nothing bothering me.”

He says he understands why Detroit brought in Jose Valverde, but he sees himself closing games again soon.  Henning notes that he’s been throwing 55-60 pitches during his training outings, suggesting that Zumaya might return to starting again. Hey, if Kyle Farnsworth can do it . . .

Fantasies aside, Tigers fans have to like hearing all of that eagerness and hope from Zumaya. The team has a lot of arms hanging around camp this year and could
conceivably get by without Zumaya. But life would be so much easier for
them — and more fun, given his velocity — if Zumaya is truly healthy
again.

1. BC - Feb 17, 2010 at 11:43 AM

But is he in the best shape of his life?

2. Old Gator - Feb 17, 2010 at 11:44 AM

“That’s why I left my baby son and my wife, because I felt like I hadn’t given this team enough the past three seasons….”
    Oh gimme a break, will ya? Left my baby son and my wife…??? For the team? No, something’s wrong here. He’s got to have some strange tucked away someplace…maybe he’s using Tiger’s out-of-work middlemen to set up the nest someplace. Maybe Margo Adams is doing that kind of work fulltime now. Maybe it’s not his arm that’s really giving him problems. Maybe he’s swapping strange with Miggy – Peterson and Kekich with a Latino flair. You think Detroit doesn’t have enough P/R issues already? Hoo boy.

3. BC - Feb 17, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Maybe he and Cabrera were out howling at the moon together…

4. Booner - Feb 17, 2010 at 12:31 PM

As someone who knows Joel Zumaya very well, I can tell you that the drivel that you’re spouting is very far from the truth. In typical, Old Gator fashion, you seem to throw as much shit against the wall as you can just to see what sticks. Your shallow mind, along with your cynical spirit, is what is wrong with many of the people who post to this site. I know you have quite the “Old Gator” fan club after I posted a comment last week criticizing one of your posts and they came out in force to stick up for you, but judging by the many posts from the same people on this site, it seems most of your fan club members, and yourself, would probably rather post worthless comments, most of the time without a factual basis to back it up, than spend time with someone of the opposite sex. But talking to someone in person would require face-to-face communication which you, and your minions, probably are not capable of. Back to the issue of Joel, he feels badly about the injuries which has kept him out of uniform more than he has been in one for the last two years. He is dedicating himself to come back stronger and better this year so if you feel the need to take a cheap shot then go ahead – it says more about you than it does Joel.

5. BC - Feb 17, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Just make sure he left the Wii home in San Diego…

6. Old Gator - Feb 17, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Looks like you took special care to use your spell and grammar checkers this time. Except for that extra “o” in your name. Did you miss the little red squiggle?
    I suppose there must be a technical term for being born without a sense of irony or a sense of humor, and another one for being born with a hypertrophied sense of righteous indignation, but today I have better things to do than exchange insults with anancephalics. I also think my “fans” probably also have better things to do today than remind you of what a putz you are a second time, so since I missed out on the fun the first time, I’ll save them the trouble now.

7. Aquaman - Feb 17, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Sorry, Old Gator, I agree with Booner.

8. Charles Gates - Feb 17, 2010 at 12:56 PM

than spend time with someone of the opposite sex
    Close call. We were one ‘Mother’s basement’ away from a full blown cliche there…

9. Booner - Feb 17, 2010 at 1:13 PM

I’m sure all your friends, and I’ll use Charles Gates comment from an earlier post, are still sleeping in their mother’s basement so they won’t be able to join in the fun. It seems like your sweating a little, Old Gator – it must be tough to know that not everyone on the Internet likes to read what you have to say. But since your not going to exchange insults with me then I will sign off by saying good bye – and when you go upstairs to get something to drink please tell your mama I said hello.

10. Aquaman - Feb 17, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Sorry again, Old Gator, Booner got you again. If I were you I would give it up – you’re not going to win this battle!

11. BC - Feb 17, 2010 at 2:11 PM

So your point is…..??

12. Old Gator - Feb 17, 2010 at 2:44 PM

There’s no “battle,” really – except maybe in his own mind, such as it is, since he also seems to think that I mean to be taken seriously, or that I think anyone with a mind in their brain is taking my comments as seriously as he apparently does. My agenda doesn’t include jousting with windmills. But it’s nice to see that Boner has a few buddies he can draw upon to fill his corner too; he can’t defend his lines with nothing but cliches in the long run and he could use your support. I’m a big fan of equilibrium. He just needed to get the last word in, so he’s welcome to it. If he actually feels he’s made me “sweat,” which entertained me, I’m sure, a lot more than he intended to, I suppose that’s OK too – I’m as generous with my sympathy as I am with my pedagogy. If I could encourage him to use his grammar and spell checker more often, I’ll feel like a made a contribution to the literacy level of this entire blog – something for which everyone who learned some of the basics of punctuation (like the difference between “your” and “you’re”) and syntax in elementary school will ultimately be thankful.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB