Plenty of tickets available in Cleveland

Feb 17, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT

My friend Vince Grzegorek of the Cleveland Scene weekly passes along word that there are between 10,000 and 15,000 unsold tickets for the Indians’ Opening Day game right now.  This is unprecedented in recent history. Sure, attendance has been dropping these past couple of years, but after 15+ years of strong support for the Indians, it looks like we’re heading back to the old days.

On the bright side, there used to be nothing more fun when I was in college than driving up to Cleveland on the day of a game, buying tickets at the Municipal Stadium box office ten minutes before the first pitch and getting to sit right behind home plate.

Not that the Indians ever got anything out of that.

1. Rollin Britsch - Feb 17, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Why in the hell would anyone want to buy tickets to see the worst run, managed, and played team in the majors. Maybe the owners might get a clue, and sell the team or walk away, just do something, because what they have been doing is not working

2. Harry Doyle - Feb 17, 2010 at 11:56 AM

In case you haven’t noticed, and judging by the attendance you haven’t, the Indians have managed to win a few here and there, and are threatening to climb out of the cellar.

3. GBSimons - Feb 17, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Rollin, this is a story about the Indians, not the Royals.

4. Old Gator - Feb 17, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I suspect that if you held a contest to name the worst run, managed and played team in the majors, the Indians would have a view of the field. Here are my nominees, and I invite all bretheren Calcaterrians (who look a bit like Ewoks but are a little taller and grunt rather than squeak, and if my ability to tolerate Belushi’s farting is any evidence, can breathe a largely methane atmosphere) to list their own candidates in those three categories. Craig will tally the results sabremetrically and report the findings just before this post is carried into the digital subduction zone and goes wherever these things go – is there a blog heaven, or do they just feed the plume under Yellowstone? Anyway, here goes:
    (a) Worst run team: the Mutts (I would love to say the Feesh but there are times when even I have to face reality);
    (b) Worst managed team: the Feesh (you gotta watch the third base coach feed baserunners to the opposing catcher like a Canaanite priest throwing babies to Moloch);
    (c) Worst play(ed?) team: the Mutts again. Let’s face it, not one but two back to back epic collapses in the last couple of weeks of the season trumps an entire year of execrable play by all the other basement regulars, don’t you think?
    Okay, but now we have to address the issue of all those unsold Indians tickets. I have two suggestions: (a) become politically correct. Replace that awful cartoon redskin with the image from the nickel, and change the name of the team to the Native Americans; (b) reinstitute ten cent beer night. You can have riots in the stands just in time to compete with the World Cup telecasts from Montivideo and Turin.

5. Chief Waahoo - Feb 17, 2010 at 12:23 PM

@ Rollin Britsch
    I will see your Indians and raise you one Pittsburgh Pirates franchise as THE worst run, managed and played team in MLB. 17 seasons of failure and these morons running the team (supposedly) actually think they are going to build a championship team in a few years. I would extend a peace pipe to the Pirates but apparently they are smoking something better than I have………

6. Dale Scott - Feb 17, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Hey, Harry Doyle —– BULLSEYE ! You are right on the money. Hopefully, Cleveland ownership will read your comment and get a clue. Of course, that may prove to be a tall order, since it is widely felt that ownership cannot read. Maybe they are being devious and indeed planning on moving to Florida.

7. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Feb 17, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I hate to say this, but I took that quote directly from Major League. I was going to go with:
    Harry Doyle: That’s all we got, one goddamn hit?
    Assistant: You can’t say goddamn on the air.
    Harry Doyle: Don’t worry, nobody is listening anyway.
    But that’s for later in the year, when Craig hopefully brings back his Major League quotes until the Indians win 3 games in a row.

8. RichardInDallas - Feb 17, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Craig, I used to do the exact same thing when I was in school at Dayton (late 70’s). In fact, we used to do TWO opening days – The Reds first, and THEN the tribe. I can only say that I’m thankful that there is a statute of limitations on DUI. I’m happy to say that tickets are hard to get for the Rangers opener. Much buzz in the air about Chuck and Nolan. April’s almost here, hope to see you in October!

9. Joey B - Feb 17, 2010 at 1:10 PM

“Sure, attendance has been dropping these past couple of years, but after 15+ years of strong support for the Indians, it looks like we’re heading back to the old days.”
    2002 was the last time they had decent attendance. Even in 2007, when they tied for best record in BB, and one game from the WS, they were only 22nd in attendance. And in 2008, when you thought maybe they draw some extra fans with their great 2007 record, they finished 25th in attendance. The fans won’t show up, even when you’re good, so they can’t afford to keep guys like CC and Lee.
    Empty seats don’t pay the salaries.

10. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Feb 17, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Indians win 3 games in a row

…which is what’s known as “a winning streak.” It has happened before.

11. YankeesfanLen - Feb 17, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I have to agree with Old Gator and have a proposition- since some think the Indians and Mutts are the worst-run, why not switch the two and the Universe can have semi-affordable tickets in the Flush-area?
    Won’t happen this year so a trip to Forest City to watch the World Champions July 26-29 might be in order. By then the (g)nats will be gone and the river hasn’t burned in years. With the trade deadline coming up the next day, maybe we’ll leave the fat toad there (but the nats will summarily resurrect themselves).

12. Old Gator - Feb 17, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Last time the Cuyahoga caught fire, I think, was when Howard the Duck threw his cigarette off the bridge in a very early issue (I think the one wherein Spiderman guest starred). You can imagine how any city father who thought he saw a talking duck and some idiot in a costume like that went to work the next day and passed a dozen pollution control ordinances for the sake of his own sanity.
    Having said that, I like the idea of the Flushing Indians and the Cleveland Mutts. The Savages can sneak into Citi Field (ecccchhh, I can’t even stand to think the soulless name of that place) while the Mutts are playing in Puerto Rico and see if they like it.
    Incidentally, as long as they’re offering cheap seats anyway they can also come on down here and check out Joeprodolsharklife Stadium – it’s just a delicious irony to think of them maybe playing a few more games here since the Feesh showed them the door in 1997 and since they abandoned the new facility Homestead built for them in 1993 in their wretched gold rush to the Orlando area.

All the trade deadline news to know