Feb 17, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Dave Begel of On Milwaukee magazine thinks the answer is yes:
If you think [The Brewers] are a team that should contend every year and expect
that they will always be in the hunt for a playoff berth, then you say
of course you have to sign Fielder. Both Braun and Fielder are better
when they are both in the lineup.
But if you believe the Brewers are trying to catch lightning in a
bottle and need a minor miracle to win a World Series against the big
boys, then you say it’s okay to trade Fielder. God knows what you could
get for him, but it would certainly be a lot of talent . . . I think this team gets a lot closer to the World Series without
Prince Fielder in the lineup.
Seems radical, but this viewpoint has a supporter in Rob Neyer, who thinks that while trading Fielder may be a big P.R. hit, bringing in some talent for the big guy, not having to pay him big money and installing Mat Gamel at first base — with Casey McGehee at third — would make Milwaukee a better, more competitive team for the long haul.
Would Doug Melvin consider this? Right now it seems that trading him would be far-fetched. But, if the Brewers find themselves out of the race at some point this year, it’s got to be something they consider, because (a) while Milwaukee draws well, they don’t have access to a money tree; and (b) Fielder, represented by Scott Boras, is not going to sign some club-friendly deal prior to hitting the open market.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)