Feb 17, 2010, 8:30 AM EST
The Mets are making “a hard push” for free-agent catcher Rod Barajas and negotiating with him on a one-year deal, according to major-league sources.
Little known fact: the name “Rod Barajas” is the California-ized version of “Bengie Molina.” Both roughly translate to “decent power, awful on-base skills.”
That said, if bringing in Barajas means that the chances of Omir Santos winning the starting job in a one-on-one competition with Thole are eliminated, it probably represents an improvement.
- Where does Nelson Cruz go from here? 38
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 84
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 23
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 44
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 42
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (103)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers (85)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)