Feb 17, 2010, 12:20 PM EDT
When some local residents challenged the plans for New Yankee Stadium in court a few years ago the judge threw it out because, according to the plans in place, the parkland and ballfields the citizens were losing was going to be replaced. Juan Gonzalez of the Daily News wants to know what ever happened to that plan:
Three and a half years after Mayor Bloomberg
closed huge portions of Mullaly and Macombs Dam parks to make way for
the Yankees new $1.5 billion stadium, the replacement ballfields the
city promised are nowhere to be seen.
It has been nearly 18 months since the last game was played in the
old stadium. Yet its concrete hulk still looms like a gray ghost across
the street from the Yankees new palace . . . No one in authority seems to care about this huge delay. Not the
bureaucrats in City Hall. Not the Parks Department. Not the Yankees.
Not the local politicians.
This is a bit melodramatic in that, yes, it appears that those projects are going to get done eventually. But the delays and cost overruns involved provide a pretty good and all-too-typical example of why people should never take a politician’s word about all of the good things the public will receive as a result of them subsidizing a billionaire’s playground.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 53
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 60
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)