Feb 18, 2010, 3:49 PM EDT
Ted Lilly was already taking things easy coming back from November shoulder surgery and now he also has a knee injury to deal with.
Lilly had cartilage removed from his left knee in July, but this time the right knee gave him problems after playing catch from flat ground this week and he’s scheduled to undergo an MRI exam. Even before the knee began flaring up Lilly was being viewed as a longshot to be ready for Opening Day, so any kind of setback at this point would make him all but certain to begin the season on the disabled list.
Lilly has gone 44-26 with a 3.70 ERA during three seasons in Chicago, including 12-9 with a career-best 3.10 ERA in 177 innings last year. Jeff Samardzija, Sean Marshall, and Carlos Silva would be options to fill in for him if needed, with Carlos Zambrano, Ryan Dempster, Randy Wells, and Tom Gorzelanny manning the other four rotation spots.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)