Feb 18, 2010, 3:49 PM EDT
Ted Lilly was already taking things easy coming back from November shoulder surgery and now he also has a knee injury to deal with.
Lilly had cartilage removed from his left knee in July, but this time the right knee gave him problems after playing catch from flat ground this week and he’s scheduled to undergo an MRI exam. Even before the knee began flaring up Lilly was being viewed as a longshot to be ready for Opening Day, so any kind of setback at this point would make him all but certain to begin the season on the disabled list.
Lilly has gone 44-26 with a 3.70 ERA during three seasons in Chicago, including 12-9 with a career-best 3.10 ERA in 177 innings last year. Jeff Samardzija, Sean Marshall, and Carlos Silva would be options to fill in for him if needed, with Carlos Zambrano, Ryan Dempster, Randy Wells, and Tom Gorzelanny manning the other four rotation spots.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)