Feb 18, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Heyman tweets that Rod Barajas is likely to accept a minor league offer from the Mets worth $1 million if he makes the team. Heyman also says that he’s likely to be the Mets starting catcher. If the Mets are so sure about him starting I’m not sure why it’s a minor league offer, but I guess there are some relatively Byzantine roster reasons for such a thing.
The Mets took a rather roundabout way of getting their catcher, but at the end of the day they and their fans should be a lot happier about paying Rod Barajas $1 million than paying Bengie Molina three times that for two years or whatever it was he was demanding. Because really, there isn’t a night-and-day difference between Rod Barajas and Bengie Molina.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 13
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 41
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 31
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)