Feb 18, 2010, 2:43 PM EST
UPDATE: Orioles’ beat writer Brittany Ghiroli says that Buster was wrong, and that Roberts doesn’t have kidney stones. Rather, he has back spasms.
How one can mistake those two things given the, um, geography involved is an open question, but we just pass along what we hear.
2:16 P.M.: Buster Olney writes:
Heard this: Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts
is coping with some serious discomfort from kidney stones, but to this
point, the team has no indication that it will affect his preparation
for the start of spring training.
Based on what people who have had kidney stones have told me, this is true. That is, if seeing, walking, sleeping and breathing and anything more strenuous than that aren’t critical to one’s spring training preparation. The absolute worst pain imaginable, I’m told. Something you wouldn’t wish on the evil mastermind who pulls the string of your worst enemy.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)