Feb 18, 2010, 10:28 AM EDT
The White Sox and Tigers are getting down to brass tacks with Johnny Damon, and the lobbying has begun.
The White Sox sent A.J. Pierzynski and Ken “Hawk” Harrelson out golfing with Damon yesterday. Despite the fact that most mortals probably couldn’t stand playing one hole of putt-putt with those two characters, multiple reports came out yesterday suggesting that the White Sox have moved ahead of Detroit. Maybe Harrelson and Pierzynski were sandbagging and let the wookie win.
Tigers players are lobbying too, though they’re being a bit more reticent about it. Here’s Phil Coke:
“I wish I had his number,” Coke said, “because I’d be like, ‘Hey, man, quit messing around.”
Sadly, people listen to what they want to hear, not what they need to hear, so my guess is that Damon is a White Sox by Saturday.
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 13
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)