Feb 18, 2010, 10:28 AM EDT
The White Sox and Tigers are getting down to brass tacks with Johnny Damon, and the lobbying has begun.
The White Sox sent A.J. Pierzynski and Ken “Hawk” Harrelson out golfing with Damon yesterday. Despite the fact that most mortals probably couldn’t stand playing one hole of putt-putt with those two characters, multiple reports came out yesterday suggesting that the White Sox have moved ahead of Detroit. Maybe Harrelson and Pierzynski were sandbagging and let the wookie win.
Tigers players are lobbying too, though they’re being a bit more reticent about it. Here’s Phil Coke:
“I wish I had his number,” Coke said, “because I’d be like, ‘Hey, man, quit messing around.”
Sadly, people listen to what they want to hear, not what they need to hear, so my guess is that Damon is a White Sox by Saturday.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 37
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)