Johan Santana says he's better than Roy Halladay

Feb 18, 2010, 12:23 PM EDT

David Lennon of Newsday tweets from Mets’ spring training:

When Johan was asked to name best pitcher in NL East, he replied, “Santana.” Hear that Halladay?

I may be a Braves fan, but I can think of nothing I’m looking forward to more this season than watching Johan Santana and Roy Halladay battling to figure out the real answer to that question.

The beauty of it: no matter which of those two lose, all the rest of us win by seeing such pitching awesomeness.

1. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 18, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I thought he should have said I was, but what can you do.
    Is this the best that can come out of Mets camp, good lord
    Newsday, you sure are gaining on the Post.

2. Jon S. - Feb 18, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I disagree with him. (Halladay is a pitching deity)
    However, it’s refreshing to hear a player display a competitive edge. Humility is for retirees.

3. Jonny5 - Feb 18, 2010 at 12:37 PM

I think that just gave me a chubb. Hold on…. Nope, I got a boner.

4. BC - Feb 18, 2010 at 12:39 PM

When Santana is healthy, he IS better. The key word however, is HEALTHY. We ARE talking about the Mets’ medical staff here….

5. Old Gator - Feb 18, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Newsday gaining on…The Post? Must be the Coriolus Effect, you know, like swirling down the crapper together.
    But seriously – it’d take some sort of heretofore undiscovered prion-vectored neurological disease to attack Newsday so viciously that it caught up to the Post. I’m not saying Newsday can’t go downhill – nobody who’s grown up reading the Macondo Herald would ever underestimate how quickly a good newspaper can deteriorate into a yellow rag – but catching up (down?) to the Post would require the journalistic equivalent of a visit to the editor’s office from Antonius Block.

6. Phillies Hope to Be Right - Feb 18, 2010 at 1:36 PM

The Phillies are going to look like total fools if Halladay falls flat on his face.
    Halladay has ZERO postseason experience. We all know what Cliff Lee has done.
    Can’t wait for my Yankees to pick up Lee on FA.

7. Joey B - Feb 18, 2010 at 1:53 PM

“I’m not saying Newsday can’t go downhill ”
    They can’t. They hit bottom. The Post is much better. Heck, the Daily Snooze is almost unreadable and it’s still better than Newsday. You’re still better off with the New York Times and Wall Street Journal, but if you need a 3rd paper, pick the Post. At least they have a sports section.

8. Joey B - Feb 18, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Oh, and good for Santana for declaring himself better. I think injuries will eventually make him a burdensome contract for the NYMs, but I’d rather hear someone think too much of themselves than too little.

9. MR.E - Feb 18, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I think Santana is, solely because he’s a lefty.

10. Mark - Feb 18, 2010 at 1:58 PM

And how much experience did Cliff Lee have before the 2009 playoffs? All of 0 innings pitched. Something tells me that one worked out alright for the Phils. So I’m sure the Phillies are just as worried about Halladay and his lack of playoff experience, just like they were when Lee pitched with no playoff experience.
    By the way, Santana & Halladay already faced off. Halladay kicked his ass, and the Jays owned the Twins 6-3 (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=AudLdF7TrT7cv247CcHTOfDJbQM6?gid=260404114).
    Doc – 7 2/3 IP, 4 K, 0 BB, 5 hits, 3 ER.
    Santana – 5 2/3 IP, 3 K, 1 BB, 10 hits, 4 ER.
    Santana’s a funny guy if he thinks he’s better than Halladay.

11. Brian - Feb 18, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Surely Halladay and Santana have already faced each other, when the former was with the Blue Jays and the latter with the Twins?
    I know those two teams aren’t exactly major media markets but do we really need to pretend like games only count when they happen on the eastern seaboard?

12. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 18, 2010 at 2:03 PM

There’s a huge difference between chance intra-divisional matchups and the possibility of multiple head-to-head meetings — occasioned by the unbalanced schedule — for teams in competition for the same division crown.

13. Shely - Feb 18, 2010 at 2:05 PM

You hit it right on the head. However, remember, that Halladay has also had ups and downs in his career. The best thing that happened to him is to get traded to the NL where many of the batters have never faced him. If I am not mistaken, he has had some arm problems too. I call this one a toss up, rather than whose better. It may depend on who is healthy or not.

14. Mark - Feb 18, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Halladay’s only arm related injury was in 2004 after throwing 266 innings. He got hit with a line drive on his knee in 05, and had appendicitus which took him out for a week or two. He’s no more an injury risk than any other pitcher.

15. Jonny5 - Feb 18, 2010 at 2:45 PM

What y’all are forgetting is Santana has to face the Phillies lineup. Where Halladay only has to pitch against the Mets lineup. Seriously though, that’s not fair in the least bit for a competition. Maybe if they tie Halladays feet together first, then it’ll be fair.

16. AlexO - Feb 18, 2010 at 2:51 PM

I think the real point of this story is the reporter who asked such a brain-dead question. Why is this news?

17. Son of Shane Mack - Feb 18, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Hah! Good point.

18. elvis - Feb 18, 2010 at 3:44 PM

GOD BLESS Roy Halladay !

19. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 18, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Hey, didn’t Santana have a undefeated streak of 1 year- over two seasons- end last year before leaving for the DL.

20. kelly - Feb 18, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Met fans … give it up . Santana has 7,8,9 in the lineup , Halladay has a DH , etc . I can see him with a few no hitters this year and i’m a Yankee fan

21. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 18, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Yeah, god bless him,,,,,, for what?

22. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 18, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Halladay kicked his ass ??? really by going two extra innings, fuzzy math bro, very fuzzy.

23. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Feb 18, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Which explains the lack of Linceum-Peavy stories how?

24. dlp - Feb 18, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I agree. Halliday doesn’t have to convince himself that he is good by mouthing off, he is good. Santana should have remained silent because now he has to perform or look like a fool. He actually sounds like a fool anyway. Pitchers and goal tenders/headcases.

25. Hot Rod - Feb 18, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Santana kicks his ass any day. History tells Sanata ERA 3.12, 1733 S (247), 1710 IP (244) and 122 Wins (17.4) over 7 years. Halladay, on the other hand, has ERA of 3.43, 1495 S (135),2046 IP (186), and 148 wins (13) over 11 seasons. Over their careers Santana has the # to prove that undoubtely he is the best. For anything else Master Card

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3253)