Feb 18, 2010, 7:59 PM EDT
The Miami Herald’s Barry Jackson reports that the Marlins and Mike MacDougal have agreed to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
MacDougal, 32, had to a take a minor league deal despite saving 20 games in 21 chances for the Nationals last season. He had a 3.60 ERA in 50 innings for the team, but his 31/31 K/BB ratio left less reason for optimism.
The Marlins will treat him as insurance for Leo Nunez in the closer’s role. Nunez was 23-for-27 after replacing Matt Lindstrom in the ninth inning last year. He finished with a 4.06 ERA in 68 2/3 innings.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (94)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)