Feb 18, 2010, 6:36 PM EST
Left-hander Ross Detwiler, who was expected to compete for a spot in Washington’s rotation this spring, is out 10-12 weeks after undergoing surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right hip.
Detwiler, the sixth overall pick in the 2007 draft, made his major league debut last season and went 1-6 with a 5.00 ERA in 14 starts and one relief appearance for the Nationals. He clearly wasn’t ready when getting his first opportunity in May, but after spending nearly two months back in the minors and returning in September, he had a 1.90 ERA in 23 2/3 innings during the final month of the season.
We placed Detwiler sixth in the Nationals’ rotation depth chart earlier this month. His removal from the mix increases the chances that Shairon Martis, Garrett Mock or Collin Balester could take a spot away from Miguel Batista or Craig Stammen. Stephen Strasburg still isn’t at all likely to break camp with the team.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)