Feb 18, 2010, 12:28 PM EDT
UPDATE: Adam Rubin of the Daily News tweets:
Johan Santana played catch with him all week and said Escobar having trouble gripping a baseball would be untrue.
Santana’s not a doctor of course and a playing catch grip is different than a pitching-at-full-speed grip, but this, at the very least, undercuts my earlier report. Obviously I’ll update with anything new that comes out.
11:15 A.M: It was reported yesterday that Mets’ pitcher Kelvim Escobar is suffering from a sore shoulder and will be limited as spring training gets going down in Port St. Lucie. It may be much more serious than that, however: a source tells me that
Escobar isn’t even able to grip a baseball right now, and there are
concerns that he’s seriously injured.
I called the Mets just now, and a team spokesman said
that they had no comment beyond what’s being reported in the papers
today. We’ll obviously update as soon as we hear something
further, but right now it seems that someone who knows someone with the Mets will have to do the confirming here, because they aren’t talking about it.
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 1
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 3
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 7
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 29
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)