Source: Kelvim Escobar may be seriously hurt

Feb 18, 2010, 12:28 PM EDT

UPDATEAdam Rubin of the Daily News tweets:

Santana’s not a doctor of course and a playing catch grip is different than a pitching-at-full-speed grip, but this, at the very least, undercuts my earlier report.  Obviously I’ll update with anything new that comes out.

11:15 A.M: It was reported yesterday that Mets’ pitcher Kelvim Escobar is suffering from a sore shoulder and will be limited as spring training gets going down in Port St. Lucie.  It may be much more serious than that, however: a source tells me that
Escobar isn’t even able to grip a baseball right now, and there are
concerns that he’s seriously injured.

I called the Mets just now, and a team spokesman said
that they had no comment beyond what’s being reported in the papers
today. We’ll obviously update as soon as we hear something
further, but right now it seems that someone who knows someone with the Mets will have to do the confirming here, because they aren’t talking about it.

1. BC - Feb 18, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Off to a roaring start. I expect to see a similar announcement about Santana soon enough.
    Let’s Go Mets! Let’s Go…. ah, forget it.

2. Andrew Vazzano - Feb 18, 2010 at 11:53 AM

*shakes head*

3. JB - Feb 18, 2010 at 11:54 AM

So the low cost pitcher we took a chance on to MAYBE make the roster has shoulder pain and you are ready to give up on the season huh?
    Awesome fanhood there.

4. Mike - Feb 18, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I don’t think I’m going out on a limb here by predicting that this guy will never throw a pitch in a Mets uniform.

5. YX - Feb 18, 2010 at 12:05 PM

My guess is Escobar got the JJ Putz special when he signed with Mets.

6. Stone - Feb 18, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I like the format of this post. You guys do too many updates to the same post over and over again and it gets annoying. Just submit a new post if you have an update to a previous post.

7. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 18, 2010 at 12:23 PM

I can’t figure BC out, is he a fan of the Mets or not.
    Another great job by the Medical Staff.

8. Andrew Vazzano - Feb 18, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Craig:
    Via Adam Rubin of the Daily News…
    @TheRopolitans Johan Santana played catch with him all week and said Escobar having trouble gripping a baseball would be untrue.

9. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 18, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Just updated

10. Charles Gates - Feb 18, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Hmmm. Reducing the number of ‘new’ posts per page maximizes the amount of information on the front page, increasing the amount of ‘front page time’ a post has. This keeps highly commented posts in a more accessible location and prevents good/amusing ones, like those mentioning the monsterous manhood of those departed, from getting banished to Lower-Page-View-Land found inside that ‘Older Posts’ link, thus decreasing the number of comments they receive. Assuming that CC et al keep stats on things like comments/post and views/post, I’d just have to disagree with you here, Stone.

11. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 18, 2010 at 12:35 PM

The whole “do we update” or “do we do a whole new post” thing is more an art than a science. We care about stats, obviously, but we’re not so granular about it that the traffic difference between an update and a new post is going to enter into it.
    Basically we just try to do what makes the most sense. As you can see with the latest update, I simply updated the new post. If the initial DJ’s initial report of Escobar’s soreness came out this morning instead of yesterday I may have just updated the old one (the next day is a natural cutoff for new vs. updated posts).
    The wild card here: since I was adding new, sourced information that may or may not turn out to be wrong, I didn’t feel comfortable saddling DJ’s post — which would have retained his name on it if I had simply updated — with that because he’d get the blowback if — as things seem to be going right now — my source was overstating things or something.
    In other words: we kinda do whatever, whenever.

12. BC - Feb 18, 2010 at 12:37 PM

It’s been a running theme for three years now. Gotta love the Mets’ crack(ed) medical staff. Only a matter of time before the muscle pulls and blown arms start popping up.

13. Stone - Feb 18, 2010 at 12:59 PM

That makes sense, its just annoying to the sight to see an article over and over again, as you update it 4 or 5 times. Just my opinion. To be honest, I came over here after being a PFT fan for years and being used to their format; they rarely “update” old posts. But then again, Florio is upfront about creating new posts to increase content. Thanks for responding. I’m sure more folks will be coming to your site as the season picks up, hopefully its not a bunch of whining malcontents like me. lol

14. Charles Gates - Feb 18, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Thanks Craig. That lends some insight as to what happens ‘behind the scenes.’ Your point about writing under DJ’s name, and possible consequences, is well taken.
    As a reader, not speaking from my typical hyper analytical perspective (this time), I generally like the EDIT method of updating a post a bit more. This allows the reader to get all of the information pertaining to a particular topic in one place. This does change, however, with how far down the page the initial post is located as well as by how much the update changes the story or informs the reader.
    So I guess that’s the long way of saying, yea, do whatever, whenever, wherever.

15. Charles Gates - Feb 18, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Please excuse my HTML snafu.

16. xmulderx - Feb 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Adam Rubin went into more detail.. Santana was simply talking about playing catch with him last week. I mean he was cleared to resume baseball activity by the Mets doctors not long ago. So it is very possible he was fine a week ago and is not now. It may very well be true he is fine.. but thats taking a big leap of faith trying to jump to the conclusion that because he was fine last week, it is still holding true today. We shall see.
    from Adam Rubin:
    By the way, Santana way downplayed any trouble with Kelvim Escobar. He said they regularly played catch last week in Fort Myers with no issue.
    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets/2010/02/johan-im-top-starter-in-nl-eas.html#ixzz0fuh56yNo

17. Old Gator - Feb 18, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I just deleted everything I wrote. Dear Buddha, I can’t do this anymore. Dumping on the Mutts, even in absurdist jest, is getting to feel too much like kicking a puppy that’s already been crippled by a car. No. I might want to euthanize them, but no more derision.
    Till tomorrow.

18. Joey B - Feb 18, 2010 at 2:15 PM

” with that because he’d get the blowback if — as things seem to be going right now — my source was overstating things or something.”
    Craig, how do you deal with sources that are wrong? Do you ask them to explain, or just ignore them after a while?

19. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 18, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Haven’t really been truly burned by one yet. For the most part, the original things I’ve reported have either (a) turned out right, as told to me by the source; or (b) panned out later than expected (a great example was Dotel and the Pirates) but were on the money, factually speaking.
    A couple of things were right at the time the info was given to me, but things changed on the ground after the fact, rendering the news wrong in-fact but not bogus in the sense that there never was a basis for it. In those cases I’ve been fortunate enough to have hedged my language sufficiently in initial reports to where I didn’t oversell the particular news nugget.
    Above all else, the fact is that I don’t — and I don’t think any of the other reporters who do a lot of baseball stuff — rely much on random, out-of-the blue sources for things. The person telling me the Escobar stuff for example is someone I know, someone I’ve come to trust and someone in a position to where they know a thing or two. If this one turns out to be wrong, fine, it’s wrong. But that’s not going to change my trust in this particular source.

20. Old Gator - Feb 18, 2010 at 2:35 PM

BC, why do you torture yourself like this? Move to Macondo like everyone else in New York wants to do and we can ignore the Feesh together, and you will know peace.
    I can also get you Nardil on the Venezuelan black market for half of your drug plan deductible.

21. YankeesfanLen - Feb 18, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Craig, we’re actually “in the newsroom” with you by using the current format. It’s kinda fun to watch the daily re-writes as they come up.
    And, if you put all the Damon threads together, as a Greatest Hits thing, you would still come to no conclusion as in the 17 minute version of “Ina Gadda Da Vita”

22. stu wolther - Feb 18, 2010 at 3:48 PM

The issue here is not that he came cheap and they took very little gamble signing him. The issue is that the “braintrust” of Omar and Jeff..thought that signing Escobar precluded going after Wolf, Garland, Marquis, etc. All pitchers who would have definitely helped the team.

23. BC - Feb 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Only if you can get me NASCAR tickets to Daytona and Homestead. That’s pretty much all I’ll have to enjoy this summer sportswise I’m suspecting.
    I will take you up on the Nardil though. Does FedEx ship from Venezuela to Connecticut? Or would that be some sort of TSA or DEA violation?

24. metlosopher - Feb 18, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Craig,
    Is your source in the Met front office or medical staff? Your personal credibility is at stake here. If your source fed you erroneous information, shouldn’t you say something? I thought good reporting meant you got a second corroborating data point before publishing something negative about a person. You are messing with Escobar’s reputation here.

25. belichick's cheat codes - Feb 18, 2010 at 4:08 PM

jump the gun again with the Mets there, CC? i’d like to know who your vaunted source was on this beauty

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5048)