Feb 18, 2010, 12:28 PM EDT
UPDATE: Adam Rubin of the Daily News tweets:
Johan Santana played catch with him all week and said Escobar having trouble gripping a baseball would be untrue.
Santana’s not a doctor of course and a playing catch grip is different than a pitching-at-full-speed grip, but this, at the very least, undercuts my earlier report. Obviously I’ll update with anything new that comes out.
11:15 A.M: It was reported yesterday that Mets’ pitcher Kelvim Escobar is suffering from a sore shoulder and will be limited as spring training gets going down in Port St. Lucie. It may be much more serious than that, however: a source tells me that
Escobar isn’t even able to grip a baseball right now, and there are
concerns that he’s seriously injured.
I called the Mets just now, and a team spokesman said
that they had no comment beyond what’s being reported in the papers
today. We’ll obviously update as soon as we hear something
further, but right now it seems that someone who knows someone with the Mets will have to do the confirming here, because they aren’t talking about it.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)