Feb 18, 2010, 12:28 PM EDT
UPDATE: Adam Rubin of the Daily News tweets:
Johan Santana played catch with him all week and said Escobar having trouble gripping a baseball would be untrue.
Santana’s not a doctor of course and a playing catch grip is different than a pitching-at-full-speed grip, but this, at the very least, undercuts my earlier report. Obviously I’ll update with anything new that comes out.
11:15 A.M: It was reported yesterday that Mets’ pitcher Kelvim Escobar is suffering from a sore shoulder and will be limited as spring training gets going down in Port St. Lucie. It may be much more serious than that, however: a source tells me that
Escobar isn’t even able to grip a baseball right now, and there are
concerns that he’s seriously injured.
I called the Mets just now, and a team spokesman said
that they had no comment beyond what’s being reported in the papers
today. We’ll obviously update as soon as we hear something
further, but right now it seems that someone who knows someone with the Mets will have to do the confirming here, because they aren’t talking about it.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)