Feb 18, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
Alyson Footer tweets that the Astros have won the Wandy Rodriguez arbitration. Rodriguez will earn $5 million in 2010. He had asked for $7 million. He made $2.6 million last year.
No one but the participants knows for sure what went down in that hearing room, but I’m rather surprised that Rodriguez lost. Sure, people with a management bent will say things like “Hey, Rodriguez still wins! His salary doubled!” To them I’d simply ask what Rodriguez and his 14-12 record, 3.02 ERA and 193 strikeouts might be worth on the open market right now. Multiples of $5 million, that I can assure you.
Then again, I suppose that’s really a beef with the arbitration system itself as opposed to a beef with this particular outcome.
CORRECTION: Footer actually works for the Astros now as their Senior
Director of New Media. I think I knew that, but it slipped my mind. Sorry Alyson, and sorry to
Brian McTaggart, who is the Astros beat guy.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)