Feb 18, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
Alyson Footer tweets that the Astros have won the Wandy Rodriguez arbitration. Rodriguez will earn $5 million in 2010. He had asked for $7 million. He made $2.6 million last year.
No one but the participants knows for sure what went down in that hearing room, but I’m rather surprised that Rodriguez lost. Sure, people with a management bent will say things like “Hey, Rodriguez still wins! His salary doubled!” To them I’d simply ask what Rodriguez and his 14-12 record, 3.02 ERA and 193 strikeouts might be worth on the open market right now. Multiples of $5 million, that I can assure you.
Then again, I suppose that’s really a beef with the arbitration system itself as opposed to a beef with this particular outcome.
CORRECTION: Footer actually works for the Astros now as their Senior
Director of New Media. I think I knew that, but it slipped my mind. Sorry Alyson, and sorry to
Brian McTaggart, who is the Astros beat guy.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (90)