Feb 18, 2010, 10:47 AM EST
Alyson Footer tweets that the Astros have won the Wandy Rodriguez arbitration. Rodriguez will earn $5 million in 2010. He had asked for $7 million. He made $2.6 million last year.
No one but the participants knows for sure what went down in that hearing room, but I’m rather surprised that Rodriguez lost. Sure, people with a management bent will say things like “Hey, Rodriguez still wins! His salary doubled!” To them I’d simply ask what Rodriguez and his 14-12 record, 3.02 ERA and 193 strikeouts might be worth on the open market right now. Multiples of $5 million, that I can assure you.
Then again, I suppose that’s really a beef with the arbitration system itself as opposed to a beef with this particular outcome.
CORRECTION: Footer actually works for the Astros now as their Senior
Director of New Media. I think I knew that, but it slipped my mind. Sorry Alyson, and sorry to
Brian McTaggart, who is the Astros beat guy.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)