Feb 18, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
Alyson Footer tweets that the Astros have won the Wandy Rodriguez arbitration. Rodriguez will earn $5 million in 2010. He had asked for $7 million. He made $2.6 million last year.
No one but the participants knows for sure what went down in that hearing room, but I’m rather surprised that Rodriguez lost. Sure, people with a management bent will say things like “Hey, Rodriguez still wins! His salary doubled!” To them I’d simply ask what Rodriguez and his 14-12 record, 3.02 ERA and 193 strikeouts might be worth on the open market right now. Multiples of $5 million, that I can assure you.
Then again, I suppose that’s really a beef with the arbitration system itself as opposed to a beef with this particular outcome.
CORRECTION: Footer actually works for the Astros now as their Senior
Director of New Media. I think I knew that, but it slipped my mind. Sorry Alyson, and sorry to
Brian McTaggart, who is the Astros beat guy.
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 1
- Update: Luis Avilan loses Aaron Harang’s no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 4
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)