The Brewers add "Milwaukee" to the road jersey

Feb 18, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT

As I’ve said several times in the past, there should be a law that says all teams should have their city or state name on their road jerseys. The Brewers have been one of the primary offenders of this shadow law, but they’re at least trying to come back into compliance:

The Brewers today unveiled alternate road jersey tops featuring the word “Milwaukee” across the front that the team will begin wearing “occasionally” during the 2010 season. The team also continue to use its primary grey road jerseys, which say, “Brewers.”

That fact has long been a point of contention for some fans, who have been vocal about their desire to see the Brewers trumpet the city they call home.

Photos of the jerseys appear in the linked article.

Good for the Brewers. Now make it a permanent fixture.  Because any team that accepts public money for their ballpark sure as hell should display some public pride.

1. joshjs - Feb 18, 2010 at 8:47 PM

They can wear jerseys that say “Pip Farting on a Snare Drum,” for all I care. I just want ‘em to win a damn pennant.

2. Jack Meoffer - Feb 18, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Did they ever add air conditioning to that stadium in Milwaukee. When they had the home run contest during the all-star game they closed the roof because of rain and it became like a sauna in there. I’m sure after all the money they spent on it adding air condtioning was just nickels and dimes. But Bud Selig was a cheap ****ard. So it figures.

3. Charles Gates - Feb 18, 2010 at 9:55 PM

O’s fans had a really positive reaction when ‘Baltimore’ went on the road greys.

4. Jonny5 - Feb 18, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Well I guess Philly is a longtime offender too. That’s a whole lotta lettering on a jersey.. Maybe they should get a pass tough since the name is where they’re from???

5. Cru11 - Feb 19, 2010 at 12:40 AM

“occasionally”? Why not just make it the away staple? Personally, I think they look very sharp. I guess that means we’ll see em a whopping 6 times this season.

6. smokehouse - Feb 19, 2010 at 7:36 AM

I never thought too much (really not at all) about a city name being on a jersey. Good idea though.

7. Charles Gates - Feb 19, 2010 at 8:00 AM

That’s because most people in ‘Philly’ can’t spell Philadelphia. Why do you think they spell E-A-G-L-E-S at football games (and everywhere else)? Because F-I-L-L-A-D-E-L-L-F-E-E-U-H is just plain embarassing.
    Hehe.

8. Jonny5 - Feb 19, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Ummm, yeah… BTW you spelled Philadelphia wrong……;>P

9. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Feb 19, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Friends call you Oblio and you’re not sure why?

10. RoyceTheBaseballHack - Feb 19, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Wayne Campbell: So, do you come to Milwaukee often?
    Alice Cooper: Well, I’m a regular visitor here, but Milwaukee has certainly had its share of visitors. The French missionaries and explorers began visiting here in the late 16th century.
    Pete: Hey, isn’t “Milwaukee” an Indian name?
    Alice Cooper: Yes, Pete, it is. In fact , it’s pronounced “mill-e-wah-que” which is Algonquin for “the good land.”
    Wayne Campbell: I was not aware of that.

11. Jonny5 - Feb 19, 2010 at 10:57 AM

And your point is????

12. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Feb 19, 2010 at 11:50 AM

The person who doesn’t get the point asks what my point is, thus proving my point.

13. Jonny5 - Feb 19, 2010 at 1:07 PM

LOL!!! it was joke ya maroon!!! I did see the obvious purposely misspelled word. You remind me of the evil count who banished poor Oblio ,for not having a point, even though he did, as everyone has a point…..

14. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Feb 19, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Of course it was. Thanks for playing. Come back soon.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB