Feb 18, 2010, 10:03 AM EST
UPDATE: OK, so it wasn’t Manny Acta’s hat. The Cleveland Plain Dealer is reporting – albeit a bit speculatively — that the presser is to announce that Indians’ assistant GM Chris Antonetti is going to replace Mark Shapiro as GM, who will get kicked upstairs to be the team’s president. The change, however, would not take place until after the 2010 season.
This is odd. Not the choice — Antonetti is well-regarded by almost everyone who knows his work — but the timing. If the Indians really wanted to
can promote Shapiro, they would have or at least should have done it at the end of 2009. As it was they had a lame duck making all the moves this winter. Another possibility: The team wants to lock in Antonetti — who has been a candidate for a handful of other openings in the past couple of years — before any vacancies open up elsewhere this year and the chatter starts again.
Either way, it puts just about everything the Indians have done this winter — and everything they will do this season — in a new light.
8:32 A.M.: OK, that was quick. Castrovince now tweets “No way it’s Russell Branyan-related.” So Acta-hats it is.
8:28 A.M.: MLB.com’s Indians beat guy Anthony Castrovince tweets that the Tribe has called a press conference for 1:30 PM Eastern. I’m assuming this is regarding Russell Branyan — who the Indians have offered a minor league deal — if for no other reason than because the Indians haven’t been rumored to be courting anyone else.
I suppose there are other potential reasons for a press conference — maybe Manny Acta got a new hat or something — but until I hear otherwise I’m going to assume it’s Branyan.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)