UPDATE: The White Sox pull their offer to Damon; Boras pleads with the Tigers

Feb 19, 2010, 8:10 PM EDT

Update: Wait! Maybe the White Sox aren’t out of it, at least according to what Kenny Williams told Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times:

“If circumstances change in the next 24 hours I certainly will be
willing to revisit it,” Williams said. “Jermaine Dye cashed in big
time for something like this, taking less money to win a championship,
and maybe Johnny wants to do the same.”

“It’s the nature of the beast, but this has gone on long enough. We
have a have a pretty good club as is. Would Johnny Damon add to it?
He’s proven that. He was icing on the cake as far as we’re concerned.”

We’ve waited this long, why not another 24 hours?

4:51 PM: ESPN Chicago’s Bruce Levine reports that the White Sox have pulled their offer to Johnny Damon:

“It became clear to us in our recent negotiations that the money
that we were offering was not going to be good enough for Johnny at
this time,” White Sox general manager Kenny Williams told
ESPNChicago.com. “At this particular point, we feel it’s necessary to
withdraw our offer.”

The White Sox made a $6 million offer for Damon, according to major league sources.

Meanwhile, Buster Olney tweets the following:

Heard this: Scott
Boras is now working a two-pronged approach on the Tigers. No. 1 –
he’d like to get Detroit to remove all deferred money out of
their one-year, $7 million offer. Or No. 2, he’d wants Ilitch to
actually give Damon legitimate second year in their offer.

I call it “pleading” in the headline because it cannot properly be called a negotiation when one person wants concessions but has utterly no leverage and nothing to give up in return. The White Sox are out of the picture. The Tigers have made a one-year deferred-money offer. Take it or leave it, Boras.

Earlier today Tigers’ GM Dave Dombrowski, while confirming that the team has made an offer to Damon, said that there is an end in sight to the Damon drama. He didn’t explain what that means exactly, but I hope that end is a phone call to Boras this evening in which Dombrowski says “you have until noon tomorrow to either accept or reject the offer we have on the table. After that, we delete you from the speed dial.”

1. Dan Whitney - Feb 19, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Stealhy insertion of the White Sox angle, Craig
    This whole Boras-Damon fiasco brings a huge smile to my face. I have nothing particular against Damon, but to see his agent utterly burst into flames on this deal after shutting down a pretty damn good offer from the Yankees is schadenfreud at its finest.

2. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 19, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Yeah, I saw the White Sox thing about 5 seconds after I hit publish on the Tigers piece.
    But remember, I’m a professional blogger. Being able to make fast edits like that are why they pay me the big bucks.

3. Dan Whitney - Feb 19, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Between that and your excellent use of tags (bet I never use a Jeff Mathis tag again) you truly earn every penny

4. Old Gator - Feb 19, 2010 at 6:17 PM

zzzzzz….uh…sorry, I must have dozed off. Did someone say Johnny Damon?

5. Sy Friedman - Feb 19, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I really hope that this is the end of Boras. Any player that hires him as an agent deserves the short end of the stick.

6. Tom Shumaker - Feb 19, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I hear the Fukui Miracle Elephants need a Right Fielder. An offer of a few million yen & all the sushi you can eat is on the table.

7. Bob Fontaine - Feb 19, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Looks like Boringass has 100+ major league clients. I understand that his commission is 5% of the contract. So, on average, for every 20 clients he makes as much as they do. Hence, on average, he makes 5 times as much as his average client. Obviously this doesn’t hold true with an Arod type client, But as Johnny Goes Marching Home Harrah goes, Boras isn’t going to lose a ton of sleep if the caveman has to live on the tens of millions he’s already made. And im not going to lose mush sleep if iether of them are taken by aliens, never to be heard from again.

8. 2cents - Feb 19, 2010 at 7:52 PM

I knew hack comics in Vegas who had better agents than this. Wow! It’s like working the main room one day and all of a sudden you’re doing five shows a night opening for “Tits La Rue” in a off-strip drag club.

9. Tits La Rue - Feb 19, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Yeah, but at least it’s Show Business.

10. Lets Go Yankees - Feb 19, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Didn’t the Yankees months ago offer 2 years/$14 million??
    LOL….LOL…..LOL…..

11. AJ Gallo - Feb 19, 2010 at 11:10 PM

As far as I’m concerned, there aren’t enough bad things that can happen to Scott Boras that would make me happy.

12. AJ Gallo - Feb 19, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Pretty huge comedown from his “demand” that the Yankees shouldn’t even make an offer if it was for a penny less than $13 million a year, isn’t it? Couldn’t happen to two, nicer money grabbers.

13. YANKEES1996 - Feb 20, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Hey Boras, there are several teams in Japan that maybe looking for outfielders!

14. BaseballFan2 - Feb 20, 2010 at 10:42 AM

We’ll see how good a GM Dombrowski really is here. It’s somewhat amazing that Boras even got them to the point of 7 million considering every other team was at a lower number. There hasn’t exactly been a demand out there for Damon. The Yankees’ initial offer of 14 million/2 years must be looking really good now. Oh, and by the way, he would have been able to remain in one of the best lineups in baseball and contend for another world championship. No matter what contract number he eventually winds up with, nothing will equal that.

15. WoW - Feb 21, 2010 at 6:36 AM

Where did you get this blog layout? I have one but I can’t find one as cool as this.

16. 1973 monte carlo - Feb 22, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Perfect post. Thanks!

17. Point of Purchase Displays - Feb 23, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Wow, really info. This blog is really awesome. I bookmarked this and will return again.

18. best face creams - Feb 23, 2010 at 2:13 PM

It is simply the subject I was in search of.

19. Curtis Shumaker - Feb 24, 2010 at 4:43 AM

Truly article writing is spreading out its extensions speedily. Your write up is a satisfying instance of it.

20. Controlled Labs White Flood - Feb 24, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Hey – nice site and good post… Thanks!

21. Hipolito M. Wiseman - Feb 25, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Heyy, Awesome post! I will definatley be coming back soon!=)

22. Luella26Morales - Jun 13, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Different people in every country get the http://www.lowest-rate-loans.com from various creditors, because this is comfortable and fast.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3618)