Jamie McCourt accuses Frank of "blatant balance sheet manipulations"

Feb 19, 2010, 11:15 AM EST

More fun from DodgerLand, as Jamie McCourt has filed new papers seeking adjustments in her monthly allowance. The highlight — at least from my perspective — is Jamie’s claim that Frank has way more money than he claims, and that he has grand, grand plans:

“Frank McCourt hopes to transform the Dodgers from a baseball team into
the anchor of a sports business empire that could include cable
television channels broadcast in English and Spanish; homes, shops and
a football stadium within the Dodger Stadium parking lots; and the
purchase of a soccer club in China and another in the English Premier
League.”

These smell less like concrete plans and more like every half-assed idea a husband mentions to his wife over a handful of years. If my wife was Jamie and I was Frank the list would include plans for the basement to become a rec-room, a home gym, a home theater and maybe, just maybe, to get cleaned up for once.  The article notes that a lot of those things have been discussed publicly, but in a world where Jamey Carroll is your big offseason pickup and Randy Wolf isn’t offered arbitration, some of those choices have to exclude the others, don’t they?

But man, if that football thing has even a kernal of truth to it, Frank McCourt should have the car keys taken away from him. I mean, if you think it’s hard to get to and park at Dodger Stadium now just plant a football stadium in the parking lot and see what happens.

Other highlights:

• Jamie McCourt asked that her allowance be raised from her initial $488,000 request to $988,845 per
    month because of (a) property tax bills; and (b) records which show that the couple actually used to burn through $2.3 million. I couldn’t imagine how I’d spend $2.3 million a month even if money were edible;
  • In advance of the divorce filing Frank used “blatant balance sheet manipulations” in order to portray himself as less wealthy than he really is.  It’s a serious charge to be sure, but hey, he is a baseball owner and they have the market cornered on that kind of thing.
  • Frank McCourt currently resides in a “luxury hotel in Beverly Hills” and has spent $52,000 on clothes since November.  Given that the divorce papers revealed that the McCourts own approximately 326 pieces of real estate, I can only assume that he’s staying at the hotel while one of his houses gets renovated into a Quagmire-style bachelor pad. It would explain the clothing bill too, because a swingin’ bachelor needs nice threads.
  • Frank keeps two of his sons on the Dodgers’ payroll — at a combined annual
    salary of $600,000 — “despite the fact that one is a graduate student
    at Stanford and the other works full-time for Goldman Sachs.”  Eh, a grad student and an investment banker are more useful than Juan Pierre, and Frank kept him on the roster for way more money than that.

The trial to decide who owns the Dodgers is set for May 24th. The Dodgers are off that day before going on the road to play the Cubs, so it shouldn’t inconvenience anyone.

1. Jonny5 - Feb 19, 2010 at 11:29 AM

A million a month!!!???? Holy shitskies!!!

2. Jamie - Feb 19, 2010 at 11:31 AM

$2.3 million a month? Do they have some sort of “Brewster’s Millions” deal going on?

3. Jamie - Feb 19, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Oh yeah, and the next time someone complains about “overpaid” ballplayers, please direct them to this post.

4. trampslikeus - Feb 19, 2010 at 11:33 AM

I’m a dyed-in-the-wool Giants fan who, naturally, despises Dodger blue and everything related to it. But I’m a baseball fan, too, and this denigration of the once-proud Dodger franchise has been painful to watch and seems to become more so every day. This team is headed towards becoming a laughing stock under this greedy and amoral man’s leadership

5. RamboDiaz - Feb 19, 2010 at 11:36 AM

I hope Jim Everett does okay with the Saints. I like him. Should be interesting to see Switzer’s affect on the Cowboys, too.
    What? Wrong article?

6. Old Gator - Feb 19, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Craig, not sure if you ever did matrimonial, but d’ya think Jamie could get come up with some excuse to demand to see Scrooge McLoria’s books? I’m wondering what it is that lies beneath that blue tarp covering half the outfield seats might actually be worth.
    Jamie, you ever heard of…Lorena Bobbitt? No? Boy, have I got a home video for you.

7. Charles Gates - Feb 19, 2010 at 11:49 AM

These salaries are company expenses. So when owners say their team only cleared a few million profit, it’s after their modest $2.3MM/month salaries.

8. MarkH - Feb 19, 2010 at 11:55 AM

I shudder when I recall how some of the local media whores *cough*CHB*cough* were pimping McCourt to be the new Red Sox owner because he was a local guy.

9. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 19, 2010 at 12:31 PM

I want to be Frank and Jamies son, oh please can I…….
    Another one of Buds boys, funny thing is sooner or later these hand picked owners end up ruining the ball club with greed, just like Hicks in Texas, who is doing a # with the Chelsea football club as well.
    2.3 million per month spending money is craZy.
    The $53,000.00 for cloths I have no problem with, but does that include sneakers and shoes because I will need more if not. :)

10. Charles Gates - Feb 19, 2010 at 12:45 PM

For 326 properties, assuming he owes on 50% of them with an average debt of $1,000,000 per property, there is just shy of $163MM in total debt. Assuming a 6.375% rate on a 30 year fixed mortgage, the McCourts will have a $1,016,905 monthly payment.
    Now, I’m assuming that they used some methods of financing not available to the ‘Main Street’ folk, so in actuality these figures could be waaaay off…but just taking a rough swag at the numbers, it’s easy to see how you can get to $2.3MM/month pretty fast.

11. BC - Feb 19, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Geez, she sounds like my ex-wife. Poor guy.

12. Tom - Feb 19, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Liverpool, not Chelsea. Chelsea’s owner is Russian and actually has a ton of money, unlike Hicks and Gillette (or at least will spend his money).

13. Pilothawkeye - Feb 19, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Regardless of who is right or wrong in this case (and obviously NOT my place to judge), it will be very sad to see this once-proud franchise get dragged down into the ‘legal muck and mire’ that divorce cases are know for. As usual, it will be the fans who suffer, as no baseball decisions will be coming forth as this case goes through the courts. Poor Joe Torre must be wondering what the heck he got himself into.

14. Julianne Harless - Feb 26, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Google is strange sometimes, I went online looking for UK holiday recommendations and ended up here!

15. Amplifiers - Feb 27, 2010 at 3:20 PM

I’m on facebook a lot and I’d love to find you on there, not sure if you are.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5165)
  2. M. Kemp (3564)
  3. J. Upton (2853)
  4. J. Kang (2839)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2737)
  1. C. McGehee (2736)