Feb 19, 2010, 2:50 PM EDT
General manager Walt Jocketty said today that he expects Jonny Gomes to accept or decline the Reds’ offer by Sunday. “He wants to come back, but he’s taking a last look at what’s out there,” Jocketty said.
It’s tough to blame Gomes for continuing to shop around, because despite hitting .267/.338/.541 with 20 homers in 314 plate appearances last season to rank second on the team in OPS behind Joey Votto the Reds have offered him only a minor-league deal. Worse yet, that seems to be his best offer.
Gomes would likely be able to secure a minor-league deal from multiple other teams, but no one seems willing to hand him guaranteed money or a 25-man roster spot and Cincinnati appears to be his best chance for playing time. By re-signing with the Reds he’d likely platoon in left field with Chris Dickerson, getting another 200-300 plate appearances in a role that maximizes his strength against left-handed pitching.
The market for defensively challenged right-handed hitters who’re best suited to platoon against lefties hasn’t been very strong this offseason, with Marcus Thames, Mike Sweeney, Robb Quinlan, and Kevin Millar signing minor-league deals, Ryan Garko, Andruw Jones, and Fernando Tatis getting under $1 million, and Jermaine Dye and Gary Sheffield still looking for work.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)