Feb 19, 2010, 2:50 PM EDT
General manager Walt Jocketty said today that he expects Jonny Gomes to accept or decline the Reds’ offer by Sunday. “He wants to come back, but he’s taking a last look at what’s out there,” Jocketty said.
It’s tough to blame Gomes for continuing to shop around, because despite hitting .267/.338/.541 with 20 homers in 314 plate appearances last season to rank second on the team in OPS behind Joey Votto the Reds have offered him only a minor-league deal. Worse yet, that seems to be his best offer.
Gomes would likely be able to secure a minor-league deal from multiple other teams, but no one seems willing to hand him guaranteed money or a 25-man roster spot and Cincinnati appears to be his best chance for playing time. By re-signing with the Reds he’d likely platoon in left field with Chris Dickerson, getting another 200-300 plate appearances in a role that maximizes his strength against left-handed pitching.
The market for defensively challenged right-handed hitters who’re best suited to platoon against lefties hasn’t been very strong this offseason, with Marcus Thames, Mike Sweeney, Robb Quinlan, and Kevin Millar signing minor-league deals, Ryan Garko, Andruw Jones, and Fernando Tatis getting under $1 million, and Jermaine Dye and Gary Sheffield still looking for work.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)