The McGwire inquisition drags on

Feb 19, 2010, 9:59 AM EDT

Mark McGwire was criticized for years for not saying anything about his steroid use. Now that he’s talking about it to anyone who asks him, Bill Madden of the Daily News slams him for not doing a one-and-done presser like A-Rod and Pettitte did. Oy:

Perhaps, but as far as rehabilitating his image, mere apologies from
McGwire will not suffice – not as long as he continues to maintain that
all the extra power he displayed after ’94 was merely the result of an
altered batting swing and not the steroids. Andy Pettitte in 2008 and Alex Rodriguez last year sat for over an hour, taking their medicine, in the Yankee
pavilion confessional and, for the most part, came out of it for the
better. If nothing else, they’ve been mostly left alone about their
steroid sins from that day forward.

Yeah, remember how Pettitte talked about how that HGH he took gave him all of those extra strikeouts instead of falling back on that tired old “they just helped me stay healthy” lie.  And remember how A-Rod whipped out that chalkboard and drew up that formula which established that he would only have had 437 home runs instead of the 553 he had before last season.  That, my friends, was the kind of candor to which McGwire should aspire.

Madden is a Spink Award winner. I would expect him to be better than this.

1. sjp - Feb 19, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Yeah, because awards handed out by the BBWAA always reflect quality of performance…especially, awards handed out to themselves. I clearly remember Madden as the most feared baseball beat writer of the 80s.

2. Rays fan - Feb 19, 2010 at 10:25 AM

It doesn’t end for McGwire because nothing he says or does will ever be good enough to many writers or fans. He gets treated differently than the other steroid abusers because he was the “saviour” of baseball in 1998. The writers ignored the androstenedione and the rumors and instead built him up as some sort of demi-saint. When he ultimately proved himself unworthy of sainthood, the writers and many fans felt betrayed and still do.

3. Charles Gates - Feb 19, 2010 at 10:27 AM

I think it’s time for a satirical ‘McGwire is in the best shape of his life just in time for spring training’ news story.

4. Greg - Feb 19, 2010 at 11:28 AM

My take it is the reporters who are the real frauds. They knew & yet in the name of getting richer & selling there articels, they hid it just like Selig did & now everyone wants to just blame the players, when in fact it should be the Owners, Selig & yes the reporters who did this cover-up & noiw want to act like they were fooled. Real sports fans know the difference.

5. Old Gator - Feb 19, 2010 at 11:52 AM

…and on and on and on and on….yawn. Wake me when it’s spring – just don’t let me miss the orgy down at the pond. Ribbit.

6. Fredo - Feb 19, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Do you believe Jose now?

7. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 19, 2010 at 12:41 PM

My opinion of Mark was he was in denial and I still believe this to a point and the point is get over it, he is back so let the man earn a living and teach his craft.I feel the same about Tiger as well, he didn’t answer questions because he thinks it is a private situation and the media believes it is public, why because he has been playing a GREAT game of hide N seek.The media would like have control and Tiger said NO YOU DON’T!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5503)