Feb 19, 2010, 9:59 AM EDT
Mark McGwire was criticized for years for not saying anything about his steroid use. Now that he’s talking about it to anyone who asks him, Bill Madden of the Daily News slams him for not doing a one-and-done presser like A-Rod and Pettitte did. Oy:
Perhaps, but as far as rehabilitating his image, mere apologies from
McGwire will not suffice – not as long as he continues to maintain that
all the extra power he displayed after ’94 was merely the result of an
altered batting swing and not the steroids. Andy Pettitte in 2008 and Alex Rodriguez last year sat for over an hour, taking their medicine, in the Yankee
pavilion confessional and, for the most part, came out of it for the
better. If nothing else, they’ve been mostly left alone about their
steroid sins from that day forward.
Yeah, remember how Pettitte talked about how that HGH he took gave him all of those extra strikeouts instead of falling back on that tired old “they just helped me stay healthy” lie. And remember how A-Rod whipped out that chalkboard and drew up that formula which established that he would only have had 437 home runs instead of the 553 he had before last season. That, my friends, was the kind of candor to which McGwire should aspire.
Madden is a Spink Award winner. I would expect him to be better than this.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)