Feb 20, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
You’re reading that correctly. After committing nearly $30 million to Pedro Feliz, Brandon Lyon, Brett Myers, Jason Michaels, Geoff Blum and Brian Moehler this offseason, the Astros have extended the contract of general manager Ed Wade through the 2012 season, reports Brian McTaggart of MLB.com. An official announcement is expected later this afternoon.
Wade was entering the final year of a three-year contract. During his tenure in Houston, Wade pulled off the trade for speedster Michael Bourn as well as Randy Wolf, who helped the Astros make a late season push in 2008. It’s tempting to jump all over the general manager for the offseason moves mentioned above, but I firmly believe that Drayton McLane’s refusal to legitimately rebuild makes Wade look slightly worse than he really is.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 15
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59