UPDATE: Derek Holland injures right knee

Feb 20, 2010, 3:37 PM EDT

Update: Andro has some further clarification, saying Holland iced the knee and is wearing a black sleeve on it. He will have an MRI on Monday, if needed, but the young pitcher doesn’t think it is anything serious.

1:40 PM: Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports that Holland can’t get an MRI on his right knee this weekend. The current diagnosis is a mild sprain. If he feels better on Monday, the test could be scratched. Sounds like good news.

1:08 PM: According to Anthony Andro of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Derek Holland injured his right knee during agility drills on Saturday. After being examined by team doctor Keith Meister, the Rangers sent him for an MRI.

We’re currently awaiting results, but it would be a real shame to see his development slowed for a second straight season. The Rangers jerked Holland around last season between the bullpen and the starting rotation and he understandably struggle with an uncertain role, finishing 8-13 with a 6.12 ERA in 138 1/3 innings.

1. GimmeSomeSteel - Feb 20, 2010 at 1:57 PM

MRI facilities are all over the place. Is there a particular reason WHY he can’t get an MRI? Do team doctors take the whole weekend off during spring training? Or is this simply “let’s wait and see how he feels in a couple of days”?

2. Cru11 - Feb 20, 2010 at 2:16 PM

As a potential top of the rotation starter for the Rangers in the future, wouldn’t they do everything they could do to get an MRI asap? I mean, this guy isn’t a spring training longshot per se.

3. Rossie Beitz - Feb 20, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Your entry reminds me of when I was a child growing up in Albany. My old man used to say “When life give you lemons, make lemonade”. But he was a hopeless drunk who never made much sense so I never paid much attention to him. Have a great day!
    Home Teeth Whitening

4. t ball - Feb 21, 2010 at 6:28 AM

I think the Rangers moved Holland between bullpen and rotation once too often last year, but it seems a stretch to say that he struggled because of that, or that it slowed his development significantly. I see nothing in his performance that hasn’t happened to many other talented rookie pitchers, no matter their role.

5. Click Here - Feb 26, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Hey, great stuff you’re posting here. I enjoy reading the site.

6. Car Audio Amp - Mar 2, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Love the Blog and I just wanted to give a shoutout.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate