Fred Wilpon calls offseason "torture"

Feb 20, 2010, 2:33 PM EDT

Mets owner Fred Wilpon spoke with the media during the first day of workouts for pitchers and catchers, calling the recent offseason “torture.” I’m sure a lot of this emotion had to do with the strife surrounding the dispute with Carlos Beltran, but he also sympathizes with fans who are understandably frustrated that the team failed to land a single starting pitcher:

“I understand from the fan’s point of view because I am one myself and
I’m very, very sensitive to what their feelings are and I understand
some of it,” Wilpon said. “I think that we have to be guided by our
baseball people and our baseball people evaluated for example some of
our pitchers as good or better than what was on the market, our
baseball (people) evaluated other positions and we went by what they did. Jeff
followed them. Jeff and I don’t pick the baseball players. So that’s
what they wanted to do. They think that the guys we have will prove to
be better guys than some of the guys we would have gotten.”

Of course, a recent piece by Ken Rosenthal begs to differ. Wilpon also insisted that Bernie Madoff did not have any impact on the team’s operations (never mind that the team’s payroll actually went down this winter) and that he intends to keep the franchise under family control “for generations.” Does that kill anyone else’s buzz?

1. Geo - Feb 20, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Gee Mr. Wilpon, would you please come to my house and just kick me in the nuts so I can get this season started. Thanks

2. Jack Meoffer - Feb 20, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Does Fred have regrets about Citifield too ? He blew it. After 40+ years of playing in the all time worst/ugliest stadiums of all time, Shea, Citifield seems like a minor improvement. The outfield walls are ugly and would even offend Stevie Wonder. And not that I am a fan of the small, homerun friendly parks, but he made the dimensions even worse than Shea. Again, what’s with the high walls. Not only is it more difficult to hit a homerun, but you also screw your fans who cannot see huge parts of leftfield if they are sitting behind it. Gotta love obstructed view seats to squeeze even more pesos out of the fans.

3. Geo - Feb 20, 2010 at 5:38 PM

To Jack.. They have announced that they will be lowering the outfield fences for the upcoming year, that being said I also think the new stadium is a dump. If you want something from the concession stand expect to miss at least two innings while the same ignorant people who served you at Shea are there. what a shame. Mr. Wilpon, please quit lying to the public and just admit that the rotten piece of shit you called friend financially ruined you.

4. Old Gator - Feb 20, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Torture, eh? My actress daughter – and this is the truth, so help me Mephistophiles – worked as a tourist guide at the London Dungeon (as did her mother when she was a teenager too) and knows a thing or two about torture. I doubt if she thinks owning a baseball team, even when you can’t afford to shell out ten million a year to more than a dozen players or so, is torture, and she would probably refer you to the “Horrible Conspiracies” chapter of Glenda Jackson’s BBC series Elizabeth R to eavesdrop on the conversation between Lord Babbington and the queen’s royal rackmaster for a real taste of torture on the hoof. Drawn, quartered, disemboweled – all very professionally – that kind of thing is reserved for fans, not owners.

5. hop - Feb 20, 2010 at 8:21 PM

They should now go out and sign another backup catcher, yeah thats exactly what they need right now cause they only got 4 of them.

6. Tex - Feb 20, 2010 at 10:20 PM

If you think Bernie ripped people off, here’s another example that has ripped off millions of people for several decades, to the tune of 10s of billions of dollars:
    Amway is a scam, and here’s why: Amway pays out as little money as they can get away with, so they support the higher level IBOs ripping off their downline via the tool scam.
    As a result, about 99% of IBOs operate at a net loss, while the top 1% make several TIMES more from their Amway tool scam than from the Amway products. This was made illegal in the UK in 2008, but our FTC is unable to pull their heads out of their butts to stop it here.
    Read about it on my blog, I suggest you start here: http://tiny.cc/D5oJh and forward the information to everyone you know, so they don’t get scammed.

7. willmose - Feb 20, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Tex the only difference about Amway is that anyone with half of brain do it was a scam from the get go. If Madoff anyone with half of brain knew he was a scam after a year or two. Of course, why would anyone think that anyone in the Mets management has a half of brain is beyond me.

8. Moses Green - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:20 AM

Well Hello Fred – if indeed this offseason has been torturous for you – I invite you to then multiply that times every offseason the Wilpons have owned the Mets – you now have a fraction of the torture that the entirety of the Wilpon Years has inflicted upon all Mets fans. Instant Karma’s gonna get you – Gonna knock you off your feet – Mr. Met wants to hit you too – And every Metropolitan fan you meet.

9. Joey B - Feb 21, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Sorry, no sale. I’m not sure it is possible to torture yourself. If I don’t the way I’m running my department, then I change the way I’m running my department. If Wilpon is dissatisfied with making the POs once in five years with the highest payroll, find the person responsible for picking the players and replace him. If he’s tortured by the medical reports, then change the medical department.

Three legends off to Cooperstown