Feb 20, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT
Update: Omar Minaya’s offseason catching cavalcade has finally come to an end. The Mets have come to terms with Rod Barajas to a one-year, $1 million contract. He can take home an additional $1 million in “easily-attainable” incentives.
3:11 PM: Heyman says Texas has increased their offer to more than $1.5 million, but Barajas is still leaning towards accepting the Mets’ current offer of $1 million guaranteed.
8:41 AM: According to Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports, the Mets have offered free agent catcher Rod Barajas a guaranteed major league contract. Ken Rosenthal first hinted at this possibility late last night.
The game likely changed on the Mets’ side for two reasons:
1) As Rosenthal reported on Friday, the Rangers were offering Barajas $1.5 million if he makes the team out of spring training while the Mets were only offering $1 million, so this would at least guarantee him a roster spot and at least part of his salary for this season, while Barajas would only be a contingency plan in Texas.
2) Jose Molina agreed to a guaranteed contract with the Blue Jays on Friday, which includes a club option for 2011. He’ll either make $1 million or $2 million with the contract. The Mets lost some leverage there.
Barajas would have been a near-lock to make the Mets anyway, almost certainly as the starter, but this would at least take the suspense out of the situation. I have a hard time seeing him turn the deal down.
*By the way, Andrew made an excellent point in our comment section, wondering out loud if the Jays “overpaid” Molina so that the Mets, or someone else, would have to sign Barajas to a major league contract, insuring the Blue Jays will receive draft pick compensation. The Jays did only have one catcher (John Buck) on their 40-man roster before yesterday, so they certainly needed another backstop, but it’s an interesting thought, anyway.
- The beauty of belief 6
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 30
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 14
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 68
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)