Update: Tigers come to terms with Johnny Damon

Feb 20, 2010, 6:02 PM EST

Update: Ken Davidoff confirms the deal. One-year, $8 million, pending a physical.

6:10 PM:
Yep. This might actually happen. Sources tell Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports that the Tigers are “near agreement” on a one-year contract with free agent outfielder Johnny Damon.

A source tells Brown that the contract is worth “about $8 million” and does not include a second-year option. It was previously reported that the Tigers offered Damon a one-year, $7 million contract and possibly a two-year, $14 million contract, so if the Tigers backtracked on their previous offer, Boras probably tried to squeeze the highest annual salary out of general manager Dave Dombrowski.

In case you had any doubts, even Jim Bowden says this thing is done, so you know it’s true.

1. mr. met - Feb 21, 2010 at 1:41 AM

Bay is in there. See what I mean??

2. mr. met - Feb 21, 2010 at 1:42 AM

Bay is in there. See what I mean??

3. Moses Green - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Hallo Gator
    I see your imitator flaked off and didn’t respond. Ah well – imitation is the sincerest form of flattery – his hate was only the passionate flipside of love.
    I’m recovering from successful minor surgery, which Bill Belichick would say was “above the thigh and below the armpit” or some such. He delivers his injury reports like a coach in the Stanley Cup Finals when there’s absolutely no strategic advantages whatsoever in doing so. But I always say – if you persist in trying to talk sense to a madman – then who’s really the madman, eh?
    Just finished Inherent Vice by Pynchon lots of quick dirty fun, mixing in ficciones with rehabilitative walks and stretching and the collected works of Wodehouse (I mean all of them how do I love my local libraries let me count the ways) and the complete filmography in chron order of one Mr. Steven Seagal, including the the movies he choreographed fight scenes for (how he broke into movies in the first place.)
    What’s new in Gatorland? Oh yes and questions I almost forgot. Is the ‘Old Gator’ handle for a) Wild Bill’s spice b) the leanest veal-substitute there is c) U of Fla grad d)some combo or all of above e) none of the above

4. YANKEESUNIVERSE - Feb 21, 2010 at 5:50 AM

Thank you Johnny for your contribution to the Yankees Machine for 4 years and helping notch #27. When the Tigers are 25-40 come and talk to us and we’ll see if we have a place for you.
    Now that Tiger Woods became a log in a toilet bowl the only TRUE Great SuperStar left is Sir Derek Jerer!

5. Old Gator - Feb 21, 2010 at 7:57 AM

Hola Moyses, do hope you get past your collision with our overpriced, bloodsucking health care system soon. But at least you’re still with us. I was afraid your curiosity had gotten the better of you and you’d thrown yourself down the central stairwell of the Library of Babel.
    Things are fine in Gatorland. The keepers are just now finishing up with pressure-cleaning the gunite retaining walls of the holding pens, raking out the uneaten goat viscera and cooter shell fragments from the feeding ponds, turning up the temperature on the incubators so we don’t hatch nothing but females for a third year in a row wrapping up the thrice-weekly dragging of the main ponds for the eviscerated carcasses of the occasional tourist who had one beer too many. The admissions office and gift shop opens at ten on Sundays so I get a little extra sleep, but it’s just as well ’cause it’s been cool and that makes retired exotherms even lazier than usual.
    My favorite post-GR Pynchon remains Mason and Dixon, yet I remain embittered by his refusal to produce the Mothra sequel that he promised just before afflicting us with Vineland, a book so offal that even old Cornell Yud Yud Yud frat bro Harold Bloom pronounced it a piece of shit. I prefer these days to read Professor Irwin Corey’s acceptance speech on his behalf to the stuffed suits, effete snobs and chandelier swingers at the National Book Awards Dinner – the very speech that cost Pynchon his Pulitzer Prize for GR.
    You’re almost ready for Cormac McCarthy now, Mo. Nothing goes with convalescence like Blood Meridian. If you think I was on the nose with Borges, hoo boy, have you got a treat in store for you.
    All of the above. I use tail – er, gator tail, I mean – in all of my veal recipes. It requires two extra steps – overnight marinade in papaya juice or two days in milk – and a thorough tenderizing with a veal mallet before you can really make it disappear into the veal recipe. But your arteries will thank you in a way that arteries in Feeladelfia never get to thank anyone because they’re all plugged up with horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches.

6. Nasty Boy - Feb 21, 2010 at 9:15 AM

I know alot of people are going to raise hell with your two posts, but I think you are right on. I always said the Yankees didn’t want him anymore. I don’t think they would of gone through with the two yr. 14 mil. deal. They knew Damon, or Boras would reject it. I feel the offer was to pacify the fans that thought Damon still had alot left. The bottom line is , who wouldn’t give up Damon for Granderson? younger, faster , and can throw a baseball more than 30 ft. Crawford , and Granderson in the same outfield ? I can’t wait. Thanks Walter for calling it right.

7. It's burning my eyes - Feb 21, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Wally, kudos to you. You have raised the poor grammar bar in these parts to never before seen heights. It’s difficult to take the content (hah!) of your message seriously when you write like a 9-year old. Oh, some advice: don’t eat your crayons.

8. Judyj - Feb 22, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Apologies to you – however, Damon was never the toast of the town. He was a guy who we wanted to stay, but he thought he was better than the “great” offer he got from the Yankees. I am sorry to see him go but let’s get real here – he didn’t play his hand too well. Don’t go blaming Borass for Damon’s blunder – Johnny made this situation by himself. And so “another one bites the dust” seems appropriate in this situation. Actually, Matsui was a sad loss for us and very humbling. But Damon, he does show a little more arrogance than anyone would have expected. Did you think the Yankees would pine for him? Did they pine for him in Boston or KC? And, we knew what he was and he was used for what he was paid for. And now, adios amigo. Never will you have seen his name next to Jeter’s in monument park.

9. Josue Barbeau - Feb 22, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Just want to say your article is brilliant. The lucidity in your post is simply impressive and i can assume you are an expert on this field. Well with your permission allow me to grab your rss feed to keep up to date with future post. Thanks a million and please keep up the accomplished work.

10. Verkaufsdisplay - Feb 24, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Very good article. I’ve found your site via Google and I’m really glad about the information you provide in your posts. Btw your blogs layout is really broken on the Kmelon browser. Would be great if you could fix that. Anyhow keep up the great work!

11. ALISSALittle34 - May 11, 2010 at 6:12 PM

That’s good that we are able to receive the lowest-rate-loans.com and this opens up new possibilities.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester