Feb 20, 2010, 6:02 PM EDT
Update: Ken Davidoff confirms the deal. One-year, $8 million, pending a physical.
6:10 PM: Yep. This might actually happen. Sources tell Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports that the Tigers are “near agreement” on a one-year contract with free agent outfielder Johnny Damon.
A source tells Brown that the contract is worth “about $8 million” and does not include a second-year option. It was previously reported that the Tigers offered Damon a one-year, $7 million contract and possibly a two-year, $14 million contract, so if the Tigers backtracked on their previous offer, Boras probably tried to squeeze the highest annual salary out of general manager Dave Dombrowski.
In case you had any doubts, even Jim Bowden says this thing is done, so you know it’s true.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (335)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)