Feb 20, 2010, 6:02 PM EST
Update: Ken Davidoff confirms the deal. One-year, $8 million, pending a physical.
6:10 PM: Yep. This might actually happen. Sources tell Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports that the Tigers are “near agreement” on a one-year contract with free agent outfielder Johnny Damon.
A source tells Brown that the contract is worth “about $8 million” and does not include a second-year option. It was previously reported that the Tigers offered Damon a one-year, $7 million contract and possibly a two-year, $14 million contract, so if the Tigers backtracked on their previous offer, Boras probably tried to squeeze the highest annual salary out of general manager Dave Dombrowski.
In case you had any doubts, even Jim Bowden says this thing is done, so you know it’s true.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)