Feb 20, 2010, 6:02 PM EDT
Update: Ken Davidoff confirms the deal. One-year, $8 million, pending a physical.
6:10 PM: Yep. This might actually happen. Sources tell Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports that the Tigers are “near agreement” on a one-year contract with free agent outfielder Johnny Damon.
A source tells Brown that the contract is worth “about $8 million” and does not include a second-year option. It was previously reported that the Tigers offered Damon a one-year, $7 million contract and possibly a two-year, $14 million contract, so if the Tigers backtracked on their previous offer, Boras probably tried to squeeze the highest annual salary out of general manager Dave Dombrowski.
In case you had any doubts, even Jim Bowden says this thing is done, so you know it’s true.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 25
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)