Feb 20, 2010, 6:02 PM EDT
Update: Ken Davidoff confirms the deal. One-year, $8 million, pending a physical.
6:10 PM: Yep. This might actually happen. Sources tell Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports that the Tigers are “near agreement” on a one-year contract with free agent outfielder Johnny Damon.
A source tells Brown that the contract is worth “about $8 million” and does not include a second-year option. It was previously reported that the Tigers offered Damon a one-year, $7 million contract and possibly a two-year, $14 million contract, so if the Tigers backtracked on their previous offer, Boras probably tried to squeeze the highest annual salary out of general manager Dave Dombrowski.
In case you had any doubts, even Jim Bowden says this thing is done, so you know it’s true.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 61
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 56
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11