Feb 20, 2010, 6:02 PM EDT
Update: Ken Davidoff confirms the deal. One-year, $8 million, pending a physical.
6:10 PM: Yep. This might actually happen. Sources tell Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports that the Tigers are “near agreement” on a one-year contract with free agent outfielder Johnny Damon.
A source tells Brown that the contract is worth “about $8 million” and does not include a second-year option. It was previously reported that the Tigers offered Damon a one-year, $7 million contract and possibly a two-year, $14 million contract, so if the Tigers backtracked on their previous offer, Boras probably tried to squeeze the highest annual salary out of general manager Dave Dombrowski.
In case you had any doubts, even Jim Bowden says this thing is done, so you know it’s true.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)