Someone actually cares about MLB's gun policy

Feb 21, 2010, 10:11 AM EDT

When Major League Baseball decided Saturday to officially outlaw guns in clubhouses we figured the story would draw a few laughs and maybe some snarky remarks.  What we didn’t expect, however, was serious, disappointed reaction from a current professional.

According to the always reliable St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cardinals closer Ryan Franklin didn’t take too kindly to the rule change:
“If you grew up around it, being in the outdoors and stuff, I was taught as a young kid to respect firearms,” Franklin said after a Saturday workout. “First of all, you don’t get stupid with it.  Always treat a gun like it’s loaded.  That’s what I taught my son and daugthers.  There’s a place for them. … If it wasn’t for the NFL guy a couple years ago brining a weapon to a nightclub … you’ve just got to be smart.
To us, “smart” is ensuring that no firearm ever finds its way into an MLB workplace, period.  And that’s exactly why the new policy was put into effect.
  1. Al from Common Sense - Feb 21, 2010 at 11:59 AM

I completely agree with David C and Jim, having a weapon to defend yourself with and the proper training in it’s usage will always prevent bad things from happening to you. That’s why there have been a total of 0 police officers killed in the line of duty since police started carrying guns. If everyone had a gun, no one would ever be killed by a gun and there would be absolutely no crime at all. Anywhere.

2. I Am Providence - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM

This blog entry wasn’t about firearm laws. It was about Major League Baseball policy. And while it may be the case that players would like to bring their guns to work to show them to each other, MLB looked at what happened with Gilbert Arenas, and wisely decided to try to avoid that kind of situation happening in baseball. It’s smart company policy, if for not other reason than the fact that having athletes pull guns on each other in the locker room is really not good from a marketing point of view.

3. Razdav - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Constitutional right? have you read the second amendment:
    “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed”.
    During the Revolutionary War the colonists kept their guns over their doors so that they werre ready when the town square bell was rung. They were the militia. What militia does Franklin belong to?!

4. Bobby Townsend - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Thank you Randy. I wish someone had asked that question to Gilbert Arenas. Wonder what his answer would be.

5. Matt - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:11 PM

And leaving your weapon in a car to be stolen and end up on the streets in the hands of a criminal is a better option? I think the Club should provide a safe place for the storage of personal carry weapons just like a court house has for law enforcement AND law abiding citizens who legally carry a firearm.

6. sjp - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:15 PM

I love how people attempt to degrade people of rural upbringing that are comfortable with guns as if calling someone a hick is necessarily a put down.
    I am willing to bet that “hicks” (such as those that are found commonly on MLB rosters)kill far fewer people with their guns than do inner city citizens (such as those commonly found on NBA and NFL rosters). Moreover, I am willing to bet that the suburbanites so found of gun control kill far more people with driving drunk in their SUVs than those hicks kill with their guns.

7. Jim - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Look, let’s be clear here. There’s no place for the “cowboy” mentality displayed by some gun toters. All I can I is that’s not me. I believe in extensive training and practice (which I have). No license…..no gun. No training….no gun. Criminal history….no gun.
    And to Sarge’s point that the odds are nearly zero that something bad will occur, commensurately the odds are nearly zero that a violent response would be called for. And I agree with Sarge that nobody should be confronted by guns in places where they aren’t appropriate. And I completely respect the position of those who disagree, and choose not to consider a firearm for self-defense. Good luck with that hat-pin vs. a .45.
    But’s it’s not about my dick, Sarge, or something missing in my life. It’s about thoughtful preparedness for the unexpected.

8. Dreadest - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Apparently you are not an American, or a nerdy pussy who’s never touched a gun. Anyone who is a “REGISTERED / LISCENSED” owner should be able to carry a firearm anywhere other than Gov buildings and airports in my opinion. Good for him, fight the good fight.

9. Mark Cunningham - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:18 PM

So now the only guns in the locker room will be illegal ones.

10. I Am Providence - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:18 PM

That’s just a variation of Gilbert Arenas’ excuse. He took his guns to work to keep them away from his kids, someone else may say that they took them to work to keep them away from thieves. Anyone that chooses to own a gun is responsible for that gun’s safe storage, and Clubs have no obligation at all to provide that storage.

11. Larry - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:18 PM

It’s not surprising to see a complete disregard of facts in your “Let’s all go get us some guns!” argument. “0 police officers killed in the line of duty since police started carrying guns”???? Where’d you get that “fact”, on the outhouse wall? Police officers from coast-to-coast have died from gunshots which is why most police departments favor greater control of gun ownership. Next time you mail your dues check to the NRA, why don’t you swing by the library and do a little research before you spout off again.

12. Ronod - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:19 PM

‘Al from Common Sense’ said: “0 police officers killed in the line of duty since police officers started carrying guns…” That is totally inaccurate. The facts are that multiple police officers have been killed while having their guns and sometimes firing back. Make your point, but be factual.

13. chuck - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Duh, if you were all real Americans you would realize what America is all about: guns, god, and keeping Mexicans from crossing the border! Doesn’t anyone listen to Glenn Beck anymore?!!

14. Kentucky - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Ryan Franklin has a point. However, he works for the Cardinal organization and has to abide by their rules. However, we all should have the right to carry. In Kentucky we have strict concealed carry laws. And they work. More guns…less crime…however stupid people like Plaxico Burris give all of us responsible gun owners a bad name. I have a feeling most of you nay sayers live in the city. Us who live in the rural areas have grown up with guns since we were knee high to a grass hopper.

15. tizzle - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:25 PM

instead of banning guns in the locker room, ban
    - idiots
    - cocaine
    - steroids
    - methamphetamine
    PROBLEMS SOLVED.

16. gadgetdaddy - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I think that when Congress allows guns on the floor or Congress or the Supreme court allows the defendant to bring guns into court, we can declare this country is insane. But thats the way it seems to be going. Some people think that if everybody carried guns we would be better off.
    (5% of people killed by guns were shot by somebody they knew, like a wife, husband, kid or buddy.

17. Jim in wild wild west - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM

dear mr small mind, your progressive ideas will require guns for the coercion of citizens, as all progressive systems do. nazisim, communism, they all used guns to implement their failed ideas of social “justice”. the difference now, mr small brained, is that now the citizens have the guns, not the govt. where people fear the govt there is tyranny, where the govt has a healthy fear of the people, there is FREEDOM.

18. Old Gator - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I think it’s important for law abiding citizens to be able to carry a personal firearm anywhere. I mean, that idiot woman in Alabama who shot her colleagues when she was denied tenure. That’s because the innocent couldn’t carry their guns to the meeting. If all the other professors had been carrying their law-abiding weapons, the whole place could have exploded with richcheting bullets and instead of three tragic deaths there could have been maybe five or ten heroic deaths of people killing each other trying to defend themselves. Better yet, someone could have shot the bitch first just because that’s so much simpler and cleaner than voting on tenure. I think no one should walk into a supermarket without an automatic submachine pistol – too many moving targets. I bet you you couldn’t even count the Cubs fans who wish they had had their deer rifle with them when Bartman deflected the popup from Moyses Alou. You better believe the little son of a bitch would have stayed in his seat if he knew I was up in the mezzanine along with 30,000 other guys just waiting for some idiot to tank a play somewhere. I want to be able to defend myself against jackalopes – the goddamned things are everywhere these days and they gore my cats. I think abortion doctors should be free to snipe at anything moving outside their clinics; wouldn’t the world spin on a little bit smoother with a couple of dead Operation Rescue thugs? I think anti-NAFTA demonstrators should be free to open fire on the cops who want to tear gas them. And shouldn’t I be able to plug a state trooper who pulls me over for dragging some kid under my car? I mean, he’s got a gun, right? Don’t I have a right to protect myself? Then, we’d be on our way back to the good old days of the wild west. I think hangings ought to be public too, and since no one steals horses anymore unless they’re opening a diner in Feeladelfia and already have plenty of velveeta in the freezer, I think car thieves should have C-R-T-F branded on their foreheads and have their ears cut off so the car owner can wear them on a scapula. I would like Dick Cheney to go duck hunting with my lawyer. I would…aww, but what’s the use? God gave us guns to kill each other with – not to mention anything else that moves – but those athiest left wingers don’t care about God. Those damned commie pinko liberal nazi types would never let any of that good stuff happen, would they?
    To hell with this country. It’s going down the wussy crapper. I’m moving to Kosovo, where people really know how to respect firearms.

19. rscalzo - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM

GThe only near shootout to date was between two players who brought them in. The own’s call the shots. Don’t likes it? work somewhere else.

20. Sean - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM

I don’t carry a gun to kill people.
    I carry a gun to keep from being killed.
    I don’t carry a gun to scare people.
    I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.
    I don’t carry a gun because I’m paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.
    I don’t carry a gun because I’m evil.
    I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.
    I don’t carry a gun because I hate the government.
    I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.
    I don’t carry a gun because I’m angry.
    I carry a gun so that I don’t have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.
    I don’t carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
    I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.
    I don’t carry a gun because I’m a cowboy.
    I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.
    I don’t carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
    I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.
    I don’t carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
    I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am
    inadequate.
    I don’t carry a gun because I love it.
    I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.
    Police Protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves.
    Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.
    And BTW, I don’t hunt or drink!

21. Badbuff - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM

So after practice this guy is going to go hunting ??? Just another stupid jock that doesn’t get it.

22. mikeleep - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Jim…..my daughter like yours, was robbed, AT GUN POINT in Chicago in the evening 1/2 block from her house, which is in Wrigleyville area. The only thing that her having a gun would have done, was allowed the “morons” that had a gun, already drawn by the way, on her have another one so that now both would be armed. Another person had a gun in another incident, ask him how it felt to be shot when he went for it. My daughter was unhurt and only lost some of her “feeling of security” a very small amount of money and a few personal items. People who plan to do harm to others do it regardless of whether you are armed or not. Their advantage lies in knowing what they intend to do and our disadvantage, when being armed, is thinking we’re John Wayne on some back-lot in Hollywood.

23. pat in reno - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:32 PM

President Obama,whom I voted for, never said he would take away gins. You must stop listening to drug addled Rush.
    There is no need to have guns in a locker room or night club. Maybe strip joints in the hood or California freeways but not schools or locker rooms.
    Get a grip people.

24. sjp - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:35 PM

People are always cavalier when it comes to giving up the right to things they don’t use anyway.
    All evidence suggests that automobiles are much more dangerous than guns. Guns, at least, generally only result in the deaths of intended targets, whereas vehicles result in countless deaths of “innocent” bystanders. By the logic of those that are for strict gun laws, private ownership of vehicles should be made illegal except for highly trained professionals. Think of the countless lives that will be saved.
    Oh, what’s that….such a law would inconvenience you? Well….aren’t you selfish.

25. Christian - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:35 PM

“To us, “smart” is ensuring that no firearm ever finds its way into an MLB workplace, period. And that’s exactly why the new policy was put into effect.”
    That’s a direct quote… It seems to me yet another example of journalists injecting their opinions into so called journalism…..I heard the same about the guns in national parks.. I like how these scumbag “journalists” demean our constitutionally guaranteed Rights yet insist terrorists have more Rights that us… You should not only be angry but also afraid. When the Liberal media is in the business of helping deny the rights of law abiding, CWP owning legal citizens you should pay attention!!!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5446)