Someone actually cares about MLB's gun policy

Feb 21, 2010, 10:11 AM EDT

When Major League Baseball decided Saturday to officially outlaw guns in clubhouses we figured the story would draw a few laughs and maybe some snarky remarks.  What we didn’t expect, however, was serious, disappointed reaction from a current professional.

According to the always reliable St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cardinals closer Ryan Franklin didn’t take too kindly to the rule change:
“If you grew up around it, being in the outdoors and stuff, I was taught as a young kid to respect firearms,” Franklin said after a Saturday workout. “First of all, you don’t get stupid with it.  Always treat a gun like it’s loaded.  That’s what I taught my son and daugthers.  There’s a place for them. … If it wasn’t for the NFL guy a couple years ago brining a weapon to a nightclub … you’ve just got to be smart.
To us, “smart” is ensuring that no firearm ever finds its way into an MLB workplace, period.  And that’s exactly why the new policy was put into effect.
  1. Mike - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:22 PM

So, “Dick”, regarding the posting below
    ((So for the people who are for this…lets say you’re the one who’s in the clubhouse and some crazed, angry fan comes in with a gun and starts shooting…what do you do?))
    and many others; how many crazed, angry “fans” have actually run amuck and killed anybody in any public sport venue during any event/game in the last 100 years? Been a lot of guys (or gals) going John Wayne and pulling an OK corral at say Wrigly Field or Yankee Stadium in the last 100 years? Yeah, yeah doesn’t mean it can’t happen tomorrow right? Please be factual in your reply.
    HOW STUPID AND HYSTERICALLY SCARED ARE YOU PEOPLE?!?!

2. wmtipton - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Or maybe ten more would have been killed in the crossfire.
    You can’t assume that an armed individual who attempts to use it in a positive manner won’t do additional harm.
    Is he/she competent to use deadly force?
    How would law enforcement determine who are the bad guys vs. the good guys.
    ====================================
    More hypothesis and ignorance.
    So by your illogic its BETTER to just let the FELONS run free and NOT try to stop them because someone MAY accidentally get hurt ?
    Uh…duh…if the bad guy is FREE to keep killing he’s likely to get around to the person who MAY have accidentally been shot anyway.
    Where do you people come from ? France ?

3. Come On Be Serious - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:27 PM

To Sean’s, “Don’t like guns? Then move to France, jackass!” quip: You love guns more than baseball? Don’t play for the MLB, bigger jackass!
    You guys with your gun-toting-bring-a-gun-everwhere-I-go-nomatter-the-situation rationale are beyond any common sense. And your solutions – ship the naysayers overseas to France – are likewise beyond common sense. It begs the question: Why bother talking sense with morons?
    I’ll stop there.

4. Come On Be Serious - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:27 PM

I’ll stop there.

5. Mike - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Franklin never said that he has ever carried a weapon of any kind into a clubhouse, he merely stated a fact. That proper education is needed to ensure the safety of those who own and use guns. I own several guns, rifles, shotguns, and handguns. They are always locked in my safe when not in use or being transported to a range. The ammunition is kept locked separately, and I never have a loaded weapon in my home . Stereotyping of any type is wrong, and those who assume that gun owners are all beer swilling ingrates are not helping any situation.
    Those who are saying that if those college professors were all carrying weapons are morons too. Please give me a break. You can’t legislate intelligence, only try to avoid stupidity.

6. Hank M - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:32 PM

‘To us, “smart” is ensuring that no firearm ever finds its way into an MLB workplace, period.’
    “Us” sounds like a group of pompous jerks, period.
    Isnt “period” cool.

7. wmtipton - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:32 PM

if that ONE student at VT didn’t have access to guns, wouldn’t have happened.
    ==========================================
    Really ???
    And if we werent allowed to buy FERTILIZER then the OK City bombing wouldnt have happened either.
    And if we banned BOX CUTTERS then 9/11 might not have happened..
    Maybe we should ban spoons too if a man plucks out your eyeballs with one.
    So much illogical crap around here its nauseating…
    ==================================================
    only people who should have weapons are military and police, those that are trained to use them.
    =================================================
    Ive been around guns since I was 8, pal.
    I can shoot a tack at 100 yards with a rifle and have shot a bullet thru and existing bullet hole at 80 yards.
    And Im not a cop or military.
    So your argument has NO foundation in logic or reason.
    The man who trained me to shoot my revolver IS a competitive shooter who works at a shooting range.
    Do you know what ‘trained’ even means ?
    ==========================================
    scared of military / police takeover? get a life…we aren’t living in a sci-fi movie…oh wait maybe in FOXworld that is thought as reality.==================================
    Firstly I carry a gun for biting Rottweilers mainly and felons who want to rape my wife second.
    And to your delusional dismay removing gun rights and civil liberties goes hand in hand…or are you completely oblivious to historical fact as your ilk often seems to be ?
    =============================================
    handguns have no applicability in our society except to kill others. =====================================
    Complete trash nonsense.
    There was an 80 some odd year old woman whos son had given her a 38 revolver 30 years prior who managed to scare off an intruder with it before he hurt someone.
    You really need to learn some facts chap.
    ======================================
    there is no REAL handgun sport.
    ======================================
    Youre an idiot.
    I have hunted with handguns for years.
    ====================================
    get rid of all handguns.
    ====================================
    If you dont like them, move to france.
    You really dont have any say in the matter, do you ? ;

8. rich - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I wish the people here would learn to read. Read the entire second amendment, not a few short sentences. The length and size of it spells out your declaration of rights and it has limits. If you check the history of court challenges to the second amendment, you will be surprised: how many criminals used in their defense to bare arms. Also the states have a right to regulate your use of fire arms; as set forth by other amendments. The reason signs are posted in work places; it is the right of the business. Also if you read the declaration of independence; you will find that, the limitation of free speech does apply to it. So if MLB

9. richard - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Go play basketball then!!

10. smartone - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:32 PM

really – you think guns in sports locker rooms are a good idea? Really – these sports are aggressive in nature and have a lot of young men who have a sense of entitlement – in a recent locker room confrontation at least one gun was drawn and there was a threat made. Unfortunately, no everyone grew up being taught the right way to handle weapons – nor were they taught the discipline. Therefore, fewer weapons makes sense to me.

11. Ben Dover - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Take your lips off the crack pipe and step away slowly. Fool.

12. Mizzou55 - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Hick from Missouri,and you would have to be die hard to be a cub fan and tell me if you can when was it your cubs won something, maybe they need a gune to win something? Hick from Missouri, as Illinois is the land of the intellects, oh please. Illinois’s people IQ is equal to its average winter temperature, about 30 or lower or is this to high, my bad. And, did you remove your shoe to count that third strike, honestly??
    Hick from Missouri, ok.

13. Mike - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:34 PM

In Re:
    I would like to hear from the six million jews
    (did you mean to say Jewish people?).
    I am sure that you mean well and that you’re heart is in the right place but the seduction, domination and ensuing murder of the Jewish people by Hitler and the German people, requires that you’ll have to study more widely and more deeply before drawing any comparisons that are not misleading, hurtful and offensive. Nobody, went willingly into those murder chambers
    Again, I’m sure that you mean well.

14. Ben Dover - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Guns DON’T belong in any workplace, period. Keep your guns at home. Act with some degree of maturity and responsibility.

15. Bobert - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Some of you have missed the whole point of the issue, but a few of you have mentioned it, yet maybe some have missed it, so here it is again:
    The Cardinals MLB team has decided to ban guns from their clubhouse and it is within their rights as a private business in the United States to do this. So, nobody can bring a gun into the clubhouse anymore. If you can’t comprehend that, then please go back to school. All private businesses can regulate whether guns are allowed or not, and it has nothing to do with the Second Amendment. Just like you have the right to allow or not allow any person from coming into YOUR home with a gun. If I want to walk into your home with a gun, you can tell me to stay out of your home. If I decide to go in anyway, you are allowed to shoot me. Well, if a MLB team enacts a rule to keep guns out, but a player walks in with one, then that MLB team can do whatever they want (within the limits of the law) as punishment. They probably won’t shoot the player, but he will probably be arrested or suspended or fired.
    Some of you have said “what if a crazy person takes a gun into the clubhouse?”. Well, only players and team staff can go into a clubhouse. The public is not able to go in there, unless invited. And if the public is invited, there will be security guards to prevent any weapons. What if a crazy person breaks in uninvited? The team will have security even if the public is not invited that day. The crazy person might kill the guards, but he won’t get to the players/staff. So, the players and staff DON’T need guns INSIDE the clubhouse. The players can have guns in their cars, but they shouldn’t need a gun for that 30-second walk from their cars to the clubhouse. I don’t know how a lot of teams are set up, but there should be one gate to go through to the clubhouse parking lot and then a locked door between the parking lot and the clubhouse facility. So the players shouldn’t need a gun when getting out of their cars.

16. Judy - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:36 PM

I found your reply to be the most intelligent one. I feel that having a gun and knowing how to use it is my right as an American and do not wish for anyone to take that privilege away from me. I also feel that gun owners should use good judgment when carrying any gun. That fact that guns are not allowed in a place does not mean that someone with an axe to grind will abide by that rule. We have to be on our toes at all times.

17. wm T - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:37 PM

I’ll stop there.
    =================================
    You need to stop there before you make a fool out of yourself.
    Morons like you actually think that FELONS show up on some sort of schedule or something, so we only NEED protection from 4pm-7pm thursday afternoon/evening.
    What a joke.
    Ive BEEN robbed, jackass, and I KNOW that it happens when you DONT think it will.
    Such as 13 dead people in Binghamton, NY last year who certainly didnt THINK that that was the day they were going to face some nutcase bent on killing them.
    Sorry to say that the US Constitution allows us the right to bear arms.
    Also sorry to say that that ISNT going to change for you socialist types.
    So if you want to live in a world without guns youd better move to france.

18. Mike - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Hank, do you really think its necessary to pack heat in a ballpark?

19. wmtipton - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:40 PM

========================================================
    Sorry chap, but the Justices of the USSC READ the materal leading up TO the 2nd amendment and THAT was a driving factor in the decision they made last year that it DOES give INDIVIDUALs the RIGHT to bear arms.
    It ISNT just about a couple small lines in the Constitution as you erroneously seem to believe.
    Read some facts for a change…your life will be better for it

20. Randolph Knight - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:42 PM

If you first take all guns from all criminals, then it might be safe to take them from the honest citizens. What the MLB rule does is tell every thug that MLB players leaving the clubhouse are rich guys who carry cash, fancy watches, and jewelry and will now be unarmed. STUPID!!!

21. Mike - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Yes but, was Nancy sleeeping either Bob or Bill (was it Bill?). Come on, get to the good part.

22. wmtipton - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:45 PM

=================================================
    In my case I keep a 357 Ruger Revolver loaded and in a small holster on my hip every waking hour….and on a nightstand at night (we have no children, just me and the wife here…rarely we have visitors in which case I make sure all weapons are secured).
    I keep a 12 gauge next to the bed that is loaded with 15 pellet 00 buck magnums.
    I also have another revolver loaded and ready for action that is ‘hidden’ that only my wife and I know about and could find it.
    Again, we have no children, so thats not a concern and if we have anyone coming over the first thing I do is unload all guns except for the 357 that I carry all day.
    My personal view is that a gun locked away in a safe is going to be a good conversation piece AFTER the felon has come in and had his way with you or your family.

23. Kameleon39 - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Just curious, are you French.

24. Marc - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Drew Silva said:
    “To us, ‘smart’ is ensuring that no firearm ever finds its way into an MLB workplace, period. And that’s exactly why the new policy was put into effect.”
    That’s right! When seconds count, local law enforcement is only 15-30 minutes away.
    Maybe MLB should stick to their rules manual, instead of trying to enforce Federal, state, or local laws (or left-wing gun control agendas). It’s not like they don’t have enough problems with the very limited sets of rules in their games, and how they are enforced.
    Maybe if the MLB spent as much time worrying about “juice”, we would have Baseball players that we actually respect. How about banning, and actually enforcing rules regarding the use of, enhancing substances?
    Hell, you banned a guy for life because of a bet! But someone who pads his numbers (and the owner’s pocket book) by chemically adding a few dozen pounds of strength; those are the guys we make the record books for, right?
    BTW, how many gun-related incidents have there been?
    Now you are going after people who legally own weapons, who most likely have a concealed carry permit, and with fans being the way they are, probably have a legitimate reason to carry?
    MLB definitely has it’s priorities all screwed up!

25. Tim - Feb 21, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Add UofA Huntsville to the list also!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3447)