Someone actually cares about MLB's gun policy

Feb 21, 2010, 10:11 AM EDT

When Major League Baseball decided Saturday to officially outlaw guns in clubhouses we figured the story would draw a few laughs and maybe some snarky remarks.  What we didn’t expect, however, was serious, disappointed reaction from a current professional.

According to the always reliable St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cardinals closer Ryan Franklin didn’t take too kindly to the rule change:
“If you grew up around it, being in the outdoors and stuff, I was taught as a young kid to respect firearms,” Franklin said after a Saturday workout. “First of all, you don’t get stupid with it.  Always treat a gun like it’s loaded.  That’s what I taught my son and daugthers.  There’s a place for them. … If it wasn’t for the NFL guy a couple years ago brining a weapon to a nightclub … you’ve just got to be smart.
To us, “smart” is ensuring that no firearm ever finds its way into an MLB workplace, period.  And that’s exactly why the new policy was put into effect.
  1. wmtipton - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Also, if the gun is stolen from your home (therefore you did not properly secure it), and it is used to hurt or kill someone (either accidentally or otherwise), YOU are responsible for that injury or death and you should go to jail. And of course, the actual shooter should also go to jail (and whoever stole it should also go to jail if he/she is a different person than the shooter).
    ==================================================================
    Ill agree on these conditions….
    1. If a man steals YOUR car and then hits someone else with it YOU get to go to jail along with the car thief.
    2. If someone breaks into YOUR home and steals a knife and stabs someone with it YOU go to jail and get the same punishment as he does.
    I mean, you’re going to be fair and equitable in your logic and reasoning, right ?

2. Dave Harris - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:28 PM

He actually wants people in the stands to be packing guns? He’s all alone out there on the pitcher’s mound, what’s he going to do, shoot back? I know they’re trying to make baseball more exciting, but this is ridiculous.

3. The Dog - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Who the hell is Ryan Franklin? Just another jock twit as far as I’m concerned.

4. wmtipton - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:30 PM

According to the Militia Act of 1792, which is still in effect, all males from (I haven’t re=read it so the ages may be off) 18 to 55 are in the militia.
    ====================================================
    Heh…thats pretty good ;-)
    And I remember at 18 being pretty much forced (under threat of jail time) to fill out a ‘selective service’ form at the Post Office.
    Huh…guess Im ‘militia’ too. :-)

5. tejano2k - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:32 PM

I’d teach my daughter to stay away from dark alleys. It’s a step in trying to make the workplace safer. You gun “rights” whackos are about as goofy as the “kill an abortion Dr. to solve the pro-choice problem” crowd. Common sense needs to rule.

6. mike - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:32 PM

why is it necessary to have a gun in the clubhouse anyway? to Brett who said Franklin is an idiot for using the nightclub incident as a reason for the ban, I disagree that he is an idiot and it is just another incident that added to the creation of a ban. I don’t think a gun is necesary. There should be guards who are allowed to carry weapons. No fan or player should be in possesion of a gun at or around the stadium it is only asking for bad news.

7. BK - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:33 PM

It is a false preception that some how being armed is going to protect you from the crininal element. How many highly trained police officer do we lose every year to gun battles that result from traffic stops. These are trained officers that know there is a likely hood that they will be ambushed. If two of the student VA Tech had guns maybe 30 people would be have been saved and may 30 plus would be dead because they shit them selves when they got themselfs into a gun fight. Knowing how to shot is one skill. Being able to hit what you are shooting at while the other is shooting at you is another. If you have the same training as a police officer and are requalified every 3 months then carrying a gun for protction of all should be allowed. To think that you are just going to be able to get the job done because you go to the range once in awhile and hunt will only cause more problems. There are those who can do this there are far more you should just keep thier guns at home.

8. BIGBRUCE11047 - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:35 PM

As far as I’m concerned learning how to treat a firearm is a good thing, but a firearm has no business in a major league baseball clubhouse. I can’t imagine any reason for them to exist there. I am in favor of the rule but I cannot figure out the reason for it. No one should consider bringing a firearm into a clubhouse unless you are going to shoot someone. Thanks MLB.

9. Reno - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Move to France to get away from guns? Not. I live there, and yes we have very restrictive gun laws including almost no right to carry hidden loaded.
    But that doesn’t mean that we don’t have gun crime. Guns filter in from other states where gun control will never happen. Given a handful of cash and some nerve, I could go into a rough area and buy a handgun tonight. I know someone who bought a Kalashikov assault rifle, cash, on the street in Switzerland (where by the way every adult male owns a loaded assault rifle, yet their gun crime rate is very low).
    So here are we law-abiding french citizens, disarmed but not as badly as those poor suckers in Oz, and nobody can defend themselves. Now only police and bad guys have guns, and guess who gets there way before the cops do.

10. clay - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:38 PM

We are getting off track here. It is legal to ban guns in the work place. I do not agree with the policy but I respect their right to do it. I encourage my employees to carry a weapon if they are trained to use it but I do not require them to. I own guns but I do not carry a weapon. Thank God we live in a country where we can choose to carry or not. We can also choose not to work where guns are not allowed.

11. wmtipton - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:38 PM

==============================================================
    No gent, we’re not.
    In case you arent paying attention us LAW ABIDING ‘gun rights whackos’ would be the ones there DEFENDING the abortion doctor against these terrorists trying to take his life.
    Im against abortion when its used as birth control, btw.
    But Id defend the life of an abortion doctor with my own if I had to from some nut.

12. wmtipton - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:39 PM

I’d teach my daughter to stay away from dark alleys.
    =====================================================
    Im sure her parents taught her the same thing…

13. DavidW - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Actually, this is a very simple situation. Cubs fan or Cards fan. It doesn’t matter. Major leauge baseball has prohibited firearms in it’s employee dressing area. MLB is a corporation and is well within it it’s rights to do so. If you hadn’t noticed you aren’t allowed to take a weapon into any MLB ballpark as a spectator either. Ryan is also within his rights to disagree with his employer. However, if he takes a weapon to the locker room he’ll be fired. This is like most employees, whose employer implement a gun ban. This is not a constitutional issue. It’s not a rights issues. It’s a personnel matter and not much of one at that. Are there reasons a person might carry a gun? Sure. Are there valid aruguments why aperson shouldn’t carry one? Sure. However, both sides of the gun control debate show little regard for the other and seem to miss the real point. The world is a dangerous place. There is violence and evil in the hearts of people everywhere. The real point is Man must learn to tolerate Man. As long as we as a species hunt and kill ourselves for reasons as varying as vanity, jealosy and boredom we will not evolve. Until we evolve, we will have the debate of wether the answer to violence is more violence or pascifism. The argument will certainly continue from here, but it’s really not the issue at hand.

14. m from nyc - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Jim – your daughter must be hot

15. M RIxosa - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Soooo…if someone steals your car and kills someone, you should be liable?
    The logic breaks down quickly here. My house is my castle. I keep things as I choose. I am NOT responsible if someone breaks in and steals a gun. Period. THEY are.
    Second case; A visiting neighbor kid gets my gun and hurts someone. Well,d epends on how. Did they break into a room? Not my liability. Did I leave it lying around in plain sight? OK, my bad. Can’t expect kids to act reasonably (yet). But the kid was INVITED into my house, the crim perp was not.
    Third Case: My kid takes a gun…umm, if that happens, he is unlikely to hurt someone. Why? Because we’ve spend a lot of time on education about guns, and they understand how dangerous they are…from experience, because becoming a competent shooter is one of three things I demand of my kids before they leave home.
    On theother hand, if someone breaks into my house when my wife and I are out for the evening, the older boy has at least a fighting chance, because he knows how to shoot, and yes, he knows whre the loaded guns are kept.
    I grew up in a house with loaded weapons – and a father who taught me about guns, and put a proper fear of touching them without permission/a damn good reason into me!
    Education beats prohibition every time.
    M RIXOSA

16. Desert Rose - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Lets all stop bad mouthing Cowboys and the so-called wild west, where most did not carry anything but their water and the occasional shotgun. Anything else was too expensive for most people.
    I will take Cowboys and the open range any day, guns and all, to urban lounge lizards with guns and a grudge against anyone who does not look and think like them. Guns and the ability to use them when necessary are a comfort in those situations.

17. Char-in-Miami - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:45 PM

and who is giong to protect us from YOU when you get pissed off at someone for whatever reason?
    there is absolutely no reason for ANYONE to take a gun into a clubhouse, stadium, hockey game, basketball game, amusement park and most definitely a national park. the nra has a lot of pull obviously and needs to be drawn in and curtailed.

18. Mary Anne - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I’m guessing that the comment about “0 officers killed” was sarcastic and I don’t see that anyone is noticing that.

19. lou - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Ryan Franklin is thinking correctly. But unfortunately, due to the gangster mentality of some of our “pro” (term is used loosely here) sport figures that seem to need guns to hold up their pants..its ruined things for responsible Americans. Gotta have a gun to be cool in a bar or stick in someone’s face in the locker room, you need to go to jail

20. wmtipton - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:49 PM

=========================================================
    I think youd better do some actual RESEARCH on facts, friend.
    Ive seen video interviews with felons and they ALL admit that FEAR of a GUN is one of the ONLY things that will make them move on to the next guy.
    =====================================================
    =====================================================
    And your point is….?
    This hasnt a thing to do with LAW ABIDING citizens excercising their RIGHT to own a gun for self defense.
    That some felon commits a crime with a fork DOESNT mean *I* should have to give mine up.
    ================================================
    ================================================
    And so because of your hypothesis we should just let the bad guys run free and NOT allow the law abiding manner of stopping them ?
    Sounds like cattle to me.
    ==================================================
    ===================================================
    Yeah…gee….cops shoot so well
    And when, exactly, do the cops show up ?
    Contrary to your belief, MOST of us dont have a LEO on our payroll, gent.
    Cops come to take down facts AFTER the shooting in 99.9999% of the cases.
    They are limited in where they are and what they are able to do.
    The first line of defense MUST COME from individual citizens…and often DOES.
    ==========================================================
    ==========================================================
    You need to learn some facts.
    In MANY cases the mere presence of a gun has stopped the crime…no shots fired.
    Now, can you SHOW us with any actual facts that law abiding citizens, in trying to stop a crime, have actually killed anyone accidentally ?

21. Desert Rose - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:51 PM

22. wmtipton - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:51 PM

“Education beats prohibition every time.”
    ============================================
    Couldnt have said it any better.
    That belongs on a banner

23. James Pace - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Jim, How is allowing major league players to carry guns in the clubhouse going to protect you daughter in a dark alley?

24. chelseafran - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Ryan Franklin?? That doping slimeball? Really? Just what we need–some roid-rage doper toting his sidearm into the ball park. While he was so diligently teaching his kids about guns, you think he “forgot” to mention drugs? I’m betting “yes.” Sanctimonious excuse for a ML pitcher, the Cardinals can have him and the other dopers they like to pick up.

25. Mike - Feb 21, 2010 at 3:54 PM

If you don’t know or understand gun laws, and your rights as citizens, then you should think twice about what you say. Look up the Castle doctrine, concealed carry laws and maybe even the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Then come back and have an intelligent discussion. But inside a MLB clubhouses? Yeah, no need to go there.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3783)