Feb 22, 2010, 5:55 PM EST
Over the next several days, I’ll be dipping into my 2010 projections and presenting some leaderboards.
1. Chase Utley – 899
2. Robinson Cano – 860
3. Ian Kinsler – 846
4. Dustin Pedroia – 845
5. Ben Zobrist – 828
6. Dan Uggla – 822
7. Aaron Hill – 816
8. Howie Kendrick – 812
9. Kelly Johnson – 812
10. Brandon Phillips – 801
- While I’m rather down on Utley as a fantasy second baseman, he’s easily the class of the group when it comes to real baseball. I have him leading second baseman in OBP and one point behind Cano for the top slugging percentage.
- Brian Roberts misses out on a spot, even though he’s cleared 800 three straight seasons. I’m guessing his slugging percentage will fall off from what was the second-highest mark of his career last season. I have him at .279/.361/.424.
- I have 11 second basemen projected to slug .450 or better. 10 are listed above. The 11th is Jose Lopez, who doesn’t make the list because of a .318 projected on-base percentage.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 71
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (142)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)