2010 projected leaders: Second baseman OPS

Feb 22, 2010, 5:55 PM EDT

Over the next several days, I’ll be dipping into my 2010 projections and presenting some leaderboards.
1. Chase Utley – 899
2. Robinson Cano – 860
3. Ian Kinsler – 846
4. Dustin Pedroia – 845
5. Ben Zobrist – 828
6. Dan Uggla – 822
7. Aaron Hill – 816
8. Howie Kendrick – 812
9. Kelly Johnson – 812
10. Brandon Phillips – 801
- While I’m rather down on Utley as a fantasy second baseman, he’s easily the class of the group when it comes to real baseball. I have him leading second baseman in OBP and one point behind Cano for the top slugging percentage.
- Brian Roberts misses out on a spot, even though he’s cleared 800 three straight seasons. I’m guessing his slugging percentage will fall off from what was the second-highest mark of his career last season. I have him at .279/.361/.424.
- I have 11 second basemen projected to slug .450 or better. 10 are listed above. The 11th is Jose Lopez, who doesn’t make the list because of a .318 projected on-base percentage.

1. Cody - Feb 22, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Matt,
    Thanks for posting that. You don’t think Ian Stewart will slug .450? He’s been over that level both of the last two years. I know he’s not going to play 3B for the Rockies, but he’ll be 2B eligible.

2. BraveOne - Feb 22, 2010 at 9:32 PM

I am clearly biased…but no Martin Prado. Guy posted an 800+ OPS last year and he still seems to be on the developmental upswing.

3. Charles Gates - Feb 22, 2010 at 9:46 PM

While I’m rather down on Utley as a fantasy second baseman
    Relative to the overall board? Or relative to the other 2B’s? I’d appreciate your insights.

4. Eric - Feb 22, 2010 at 11:10 PM

I also see Zobrist coming back to the pack a bit, but .822 seems a bit low.

5. Jonny5 - Feb 23, 2010 at 10:26 AM

“While I’m rather down on Utley as a fantasy second baseman, he’s easily the class of the group when it comes to real baseball.”
    ……. OK, why are you down on Utley, even with his injury issues of last season he was above what you call for 2010. His OPS should improve imo.

6. big fan - Feb 23, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Cano: high BA and high Slug, but lots of meaningless hits. This explains his high WAR and low WPA. See http://www.mlbexpertanalysis.com/blog/?p=46

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto