Carlos Beltran and the Mets: no hard feelings

Feb 22, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT

One of the Mets’ offseason dramas involved Carlos Beltran, the front office and a disputed surgery clearance.  Beltran, who was angry with the Mets’ front office at the time, is willing to let bygones be bygones:

“You know, it took me a while because I’m a human being, of course, and
I’m a person who has feelings. It took me like a
week for me to forget everything and focus on what is important for me.
What is important for me right now is just to be with the team, be
ready, and being able to play.”

Spring training tends to heal these kinds of emotional wounds.  As for the physical wound, Beltran says he’s progressing nicely. Reporters on the scene today said that there was no limp in his walk and all appeared hunky dory.

Less than hunky dory was Beltran’s fashion sense, as evidenced by these pictures by Howard Simmons of the Daily News.  Note the ugly shirt tucked into jeans! Behold the two-hole-deep white belt which was EXACTLY like one your old man had back in the 70s!  Note also that Beltran, not content to rock a mere trucker’s hat, rocks what appears to be a very expensive takeoff on a trucker’s hat.

But perhaps the worst atrocity in that photo array is the last picture, in which Sandy Koufax — in Mets camp because apparently the Wilpons have taken an option on all Dodgers history prior to the 1970s — checks out Oliver Perez’s skills.  The look on his face says “Scott Boras compared this guy to me last year?”  Koufax is about as awesome as it comes, so he no doubt has ninjas or pirates or something on the payroll who will no doubt be paying Boras a visit after nightfall.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - Feb 22, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Beltran just returned from his Jersey Shore audition.
    Affliction, baby!

2. The Common Man - Feb 22, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Ha ha, Carlos Beltran just took a turn…for the douche. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDCPK4MiolQ)

3. wpcorbett - Feb 22, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Made-Up Quote of the Day: “Scott Boras compared this guy to me?”
    Note the ball in Koufax’s hand. Now pick up a baseball and wrap your fingers around it in the same manner. I have a fairly large hand, and I would estimate his fingers are two inches longer than mine.

4. JE - Feb 22, 2010 at 5:34 PM

“Less than hunky dory was Beltran’s fashion sense, as evidenced by these pictures by Howard Simmons of the Daily News. …”
    Wow, Craig, I had no idea that Ohio was just named the center of the fashion industry! Little did I know that HBO’s new hip series, “How to Make it in America,” was actually filmed in Toledo! ;-)

5. Ryan - Feb 22, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Jager bombs, Jager bombs, Jager bombs bro.

6. Ryan - Feb 22, 2010 at 5:40 PM

LOL – I was just thinking to myself – man, Craig needs to visit a coast once in a while, Beltran isn’t dressed THAT weird. I wouldn’t think anything of if I saw him at Pink’s in LA at 3AM getting his hot dog on.

7. Old Gator - Feb 22, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Hell, I’m surprised Minaya blew the opportunity to have Beltran’s surgeons install a heart plug. The way things went this past offseason, the next round of contract negotiations is going to be a hoot and a half unless the Mutts establish their leverage now.

8. kendynamo - Feb 22, 2010 at 6:33 PM

c’mon man, that may be what old people were wearing in the 70’s but it’s also what heaps of douchey young people are wearing today. craig, this makes you sound like an old man yourself. besides the fact that nothing beltran does is ever wrong, if you’re going to make fun of beltran’s clothes, at least do it properly.

9. Seriously?! - Feb 23, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Welcome back to high school folks. If we can’t pick at the Mets for anything legit today, we can always make fun of their off daily dress. Craig, this is getting to pathetic.

10. Chris Simonds - Feb 23, 2010 at 10:13 AM

And the third person in the Koufax-Perez photo – is that Johan laughing is ass off?

11. Mervin Karcher - Feb 23, 2010 at 1:38 PM

I love prvcy jeans! They are the best jeans I’ve ever worn. All of the hot stars including Carrie Underwood are wearing them too!

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey