Hank Aaron on McGwire: "He's done everything he can do"

Feb 22, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT

Hank Aaron AP.jpgHank Aaron spoke about PEDs, apologies and Mark McGwire today:

“I think baseball is cleaning up its act a little bit, I really do. I’ve said this and I’ll say it
again, over and over again, this is the most forgiving country in the
world. If you come through and tell the truth, then you’re going to be
forgiven.

“The kid with the Yankees, Pettitte,
came out and it was a week of news and after that it was over. We all
make mistakes. If they ever did enhancing drugs, whatever they did,
they should come clean and be able to sleep at night.

“I
would have loved to have seen [McGwire] do it a long time ago, but since he
did it, I think that he himself will tell you right now he’s able to
sleep at night and he’s able to look at his teammates. He’s done everything that he can do.”

The line forms on the left for those wanting to tell Hank Aaron he’s wrong and that McGwire should still be forced to say even more about his PED use.  Anyone want to join it?  Rosenthal? Heyman? Haudricourt? Bryant? Madden?

1. zac - Feb 22, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Can I jump on the line for those who love Hammerin’ Hank?

2. Ryan - Feb 22, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Now we sit back and wait for Bonds to come sulking back into the picture. Gator, get me a beer while you’re up please and thanks.

3. Old Gator - Feb 22, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Sure. Would you like to try a Framboise Lambic – a raspberry beer?
    Sorry about that….
    And who the hell does this Hank Aaron think he is to contradict a sportswriter, anyway?

4. Big Harold - Feb 22, 2010 at 6:26 PM

“The line forms on the left for those wanting to tell Hank Aaron he’s wrong and that McGwire should still be forced to say even more about his PED use.”
    Non-sense. McGwire violated the rules, .. he was caught and he eventually admitted to what he did. Some people will never be satisfied with or forgive him. Some people, like yourself, seemingly think he’s getting away with something. I don’t see it that way. At the end of the day this entire episode will continue to weigh on McGwire’s career and reputation which in large measure it should. We all should be accountable for our actions. But the notion that McGwire should be “forced” to do any more is stupid. For some there will never be an acceptable apology or disclosure from McGwire so where do we draw the line? Perhaps where you deem appropriate? Who died and left you the Big Khuna?
    If Hank Aaron can live with it, which doesn’t mean he condones McGwire’s PED use, I think the rest of us should be able to get on board with it.

5. Ryan - Feb 22, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Not my first choice for a baseball game, but hell yeah, lambics are good stuff. I prefer a hoppy IPA or a real nice imperial stout when I have a choice though. In other words – nothing that they serve at actual ballparks am I interested in. I need to get the Beer Belly this year. :)

6. NaOH - Feb 22, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Where’s the line for wanting Aaron to say more? He has admitted to PED use and suggested he regretted the one time he tried amphetamines. But he never gave the apology he owes me!

7. Old Gator - Feb 22, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Uh – Big H., that’s been exactly Craig’s position for yonks now (a yonk is a hypothetical particle that holds together warp factors). You need to get the needle on your sarcasm detector fixed; that post of Craig’s would have redlined one in working order.

8. Charles Gates - Feb 22, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Gator, apparently the Lambics make you a softy, providing explanations for obscure references that, admittedly, myself included, have had to Google once in a awhile, hasn’t thus far been your modus operandi. (You capialize latin/french/etc, right?)
    Alas, you know I’m poking fun. Considering Big Harold brought a rational, well thought out idea to the table, I’m on board with the decision to tone down the crotalus scutulatus-esque cynicism.

9. Charles Gates - Feb 22, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Oh Beetledung! I should have known better than to take Gator at face value.
    [EDIT]: In my last post, ‘capitalize’ should read ‘italicize,’ but being as I didn’t do either, I’ll let the irony stand.

10. Old Gator - Feb 22, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Er – you capitalize the first letter of the name of the genus and the species name remains in lower case, though all italicized, thusly: Crotalus scutulatus, a nasty customer with a much higher proportion of neurotoxin than most crotalid rattlesnakes in North America (the pygmy rattlers, like Friendo, my own adorable pet baby eastern pygmy rattler, Sistrurus miliarius, belong to a separate genus) and the cell-wall-melting proteins known as “spreading factor” in its venom. Many desert dwelling poisonous snakes have especially lethal venom, probably because they’re less likely to encounter prey very often and need to be sure of killing it with a partial hit. In Macondo, our lovely coral snakes are mainly neurotoxic and even though they don’t live in the desert and eat mainly small lizards and stuff like that, they have probably evolved to bring down fat old biddies working in their gardens, their main prey in my neighborhood, before the duffettes can decapitate them with their trowels and probably just for the fun of it.

11. Charles Gates - Feb 22, 2010 at 10:32 PM

I’m not scared of snakes. I’m scared of being scared by snakes, if you know what I mean. As long as I see one before, you know, I’m about to step on it, no problems.
    In so far as having a rattler as a pet in my house is concerned, um, no.

12. Rays fan - Feb 22, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Much applause for Hammerin’ Hank!
    On another PED topic, I’ve ranted a “few” times that while PED testing may have significantly curtailed steroid abuse in MLB, that HGH is likely still rampant due to no testing for it. Apparently, however, British rugby does test for it & they caught their first user:

13. Old Gator - Feb 22, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Oh yeah, and by way of explanation – I meant that because Big Harold hadn’t been here before, he didn’t recognize that Craig was being sarcastic – I wan’t giving BH any more grief than I normally give any neophyte who blunders into our little virtual snuggery over here.
    Beetledung. Not my favorite movie – unless of course you’re referring to the hapless scarab with the dungball hung up on the thorn in Microcosmos. She was a grand metaphor for all of us.

14. Libservative - Feb 23, 2010 at 3:56 AM

Hank Aaron is a class act and always was. Hell, he could probably step onto the field right now and hit .270.

15. stargatebabe - Feb 23, 2010 at 7:18 AM

It’s done and over with – MOVE ON!
    Must be nice to have nothing else more urgent in your life that MM and his admission!

16. PalookaJoe - Feb 23, 2010 at 9:38 AM

I’m right behind you, zac.

17. Rick - Feb 23, 2010 at 10:21 AM

We can’t move on until the purging has been completed.Bonds will be the last to come forward and I predict that when he does,he will renounce his ill gotten title of HR King and re-award it back the the real HR King, Hammerin Hank Aaron.

18. Natosha Koogle - Feb 26, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Hi, just needed you to know I have added your site to my Google bookmarks because of your extraordinary blog layout. But seriously, I think your site has one of the freshest theme I’ve came across. It really helps make reading your blog a lot easier.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2506)