Feb 22, 2010, 4:58 PM EDT
White Sox closer Bobby Jenks, whose reputation for hard partying preceded him to the majors, told MLB.com that he quit drinking over the winter and the decision has helped him lose 25 pounds.
Jenks claims he was never an alcoholic, but he said he felt the need to quit cold turkey for his sake and that of his family.
“Getting [drunk] every night. Let’s put it plain and simple,” Jenks said. “When I took a long, hard look at myself and saw where I was headed, at that point, I was headed in the wrong direction.”
Jenks has had run-ins with management in recent months, mostly about his weight and conditioning, but he said this was a decision he made on his own.
“I just got tired of it, plain and simple,” Jenks said. “When you want a bad habit out of your life, either you wean yourself off or you quit cold turkey.
With his salary up to $7.5 million and other possible closers already on the roster, Jenks knows he could be taking part in his last spring with the White Sox. It’s imperative that he put together a strong season if he expects to make similar dollars in 2011 and beyond. Taking better care of himself is an important first step. However, he realizes the next several months might be more challenging than the last few.
“Actually, it was both: tougher and easier than I thought,” said Jenks of giving up drinking. “During the season, on the plane rides, hanging out with the guys, that’s going to be the challenge, the real test comes this season. I’ve passed one this offseason. Spring training is next and then I’ll think about the season when it starts.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)