Feb 22, 2010, 6:25 PM EST
John Kibler was a Korean War veteran, a former New York State patrolman and a major league umpire for more than 25 years. In that capacity, he worked the World Series four times. He was married to Mrs. Kibler for more than 50 years and had a couple of sons who I assume are fine, upstanding young me in their communities.
Quite a life. More than a lot of us will ever do. Which makes me wonder why the Associated Press chose this particular headline to mark his recent passing:
This is like writing an obit about the former police chief with a headline that references the fact that he stood behind the mayor during an interesting speech that one time.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)