John Kibler, former ump dies, gets lame sendoff by the AP

Feb 22, 2010, 6:25 PM EST

John Kibler was a Korean War veteran, a former New York State patrolman and a major league umpire for more than 25 years. In that capacity, he worked the World Series four times. He was married to Mrs. Kibler for more than 50 years and had a couple of sons who I assume are fine, upstanding young me in their communities.

Quite a life. More than a lot of us will ever do. Which makes me wonder why the Associated Press chose this particular headline to mark his recent passing:

Kibler.bmp.jpg
This is like writing an obit about the former police chief with a headline that references the fact that he stood behind the mayor during an interesting speech that one time.

1. Old Gator - Feb 22, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Dick Cheney Dies; Shot Lawyer on Duck Hunt
    John Heyman Dies; Bitch for Scott Boras
    Jack Nicholson Dies; Played Masochistic Dental Patient
    Sarah Palin Dies; Ran Up record Shopping Bill
    Rupert Murdoch Dies; Discredited Hundreds of Periodicals
    Tony Blair Dies; Had Nice Smile
    George Bush Dies; Donates Brain to Theoretical Physics
    Paris Hilton Dies.

2. Stone - Feb 22, 2010 at 7:23 PM

This reeks of an obit that they’ve had on standby for the last 20+ years.

3. Andy - Feb 22, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Ever gonna need the John Kibler tag again, Craig? I mean, he’s dead…

4. jwb - Feb 22, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Don’t copy editors usually write headlines?

5. John - Feb 22, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Poor writer and neeeds a refund from his University. His Professor would probably say “I knew I gave him an F for some reason; no detail”.

6. Charles Gates - Feb 22, 2010 at 9:17 PM

This is surely a poor obituary for someone of Kibler’s stature (from what Craig describes). Though if I were to die tomorrow, I doubt that the AP would pick up the story…and I get results.
    Sadly, methinks a bad obit by the AP is better than no obit by the AP. Except, of course, if the ‘no obit’ means that you’re still alive.

7. Old Gator - Feb 23, 2010 at 11:16 AM

And I’m told there is no difference between a good flan and a bad flan.

8. Trevor - Feb 23, 2010 at 2:25 PM

If the Associated Press is anything like the Canadian Press (where I once worked) the story is filed to the wire with a headline. Any media outlet picking up the story, however, can choose to go with the existing headline or make up their own.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4974)
  2. M. Kemp (3499)
  3. J. Kang (2676)
  4. J. Upton (2612)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2611)
  1. C. McGehee (2591)