Feb 22, 2010, 3:42 PM EST
UPDATE: After the whopper below, Damon said later that the Tigers were his first choice after it was clear he would not resign with the Yankees. Which makes more sense. We can now return to Boras/Damon B.S. Defcon 4, during with normal, increased scrutiny of statements and the heightening of anti-baloney security measures is appropriate.
2:26 P.M: Johnny Damon, at his press conference, moments ago, referring to his choice to sign with Detroit and his assessment of how well Scott Boras did his job:
“This is where I wanted to be from day one . . . I think he did a great job.”
Which could be true if “Day One” is defined as “this past Friday at around 5PM.”
All of this takes me back to my days practicing law. After 11 years, I came to understand the art of lying.
I can’t say I ever got good at it — on some level you either have the
knack for it or you don’t — but I did learn that getting away with a
lie has nothing to do with how big or how small the lie is. In fact,
the bigger, more audacious the lie, the better off you are, because
people really can’t counter what you say if their jaws are on the
This is one of them deals.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (95)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)