UPDATE: 2 + 2 once again equals four in Johnny Damon land

Feb 22, 2010, 3:42 PM EDT

UPDATE:  After the whopper below, Damon said later that the Tigers were his first choice after it was clear he would not resign with the Yankees.  Which makes more sense. We can now return to Boras/Damon B.S. Defcon 4, during with normal, increased scrutiny of statements and the heightening of anti-baloney security measures is appropriate.

2:26 P.M: Johnny Damon, at his press conference, moments ago, referring to his choice to sign with Detroit and his assessment of how well Scott Boras did his job:

“This is where I wanted to be from day one . . . I think he did a great job.”

Which could be true if “Day One” is defined as “this past Friday at around 5PM.”

All of this takes me back to my days practicing law. After 11 years, I came to understand the art of lying.
I can’t say I ever got good at it — on some level you either have the
knack for it or you don’t — but I did learn that getting away with a
lie has nothing to do with how big or how small the lie is. In fact,
the bigger, more audacious the lie, the better off you are, because
people really can’t counter what you say if their jaws are on the
ground.

This is one of them deals.

1. Mrs. Damon - Feb 22, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I hate Detroit! It’s so urban. Get me out of here!

2. The Bunk - Feb 22, 2010 at 2:51 PM

“This is where I wanted to be from day one . . . I think he did a great job.”
    The bigger the lie, the more they believe.

3. C.Tahmaseb - Feb 22, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Thanks for being a yankee, good luck in the future

4. Fast Eddy - Feb 22, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Omar, you are safe. Obviously you are not the stupidist GM in the game.

5. Old Gator - Feb 22, 2010 at 3:27 PM

I think it was Plato who first extolled the Big Lie, but it was Goebbels who really put it on the map and George Bush who added it to Google Earth. With Johnny Damon, perhaps it’s time to load it into a time capsule and leave it for whichever species replaces it – and not a moment too soon, either – or put it into the next deep space probe so that more intelligent life forms than anything found on land on this planet can have a good laugh.

6. Ralph Kramden - Feb 22, 2010 at 3:35 PM

for large values of 2.

7. Mars Lander - Feb 22, 2010 at 3:43 PM

I found methane on Mars and gave it an IQ test – it beat JD by 32 points and that’s before Urban Scaling.

8. Charles Gates - Feb 22, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Wadsworth: It’s not a trick. There was one shot at Mr. Boddy in the Study; two for the chandelier; two at the Lounge door and one for the singing telegram.
    Miss Scarlet: That’s not six.
    Wadsworth: One plus two plus two plus one.
    Miss Scarlet: Uh-uh, there was only one shot that got the chandelier. That’s one plus two plus *one* plus one.
    Wadsworth: Even if you were right, that would be one plus one plus two plus one, not one plus *two* plus one plus one.
    Thanks, imdb.

9. Jonny5 - Feb 22, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Well, Maybe Damon makes Illich look smart??? Therefore, he’s worth the money.

10. Joey B - Feb 22, 2010 at 4:20 PM

That’s Johnny for you. I think he’ll be fine with Detroit, as he was with NY, as he was with the RS. However, turn the volume off on him. He’s turned obseqious into an art form. Nowhere in the world is the sun as sunny as it is in NY, I mean Detroit. And I love the Red Hawks hockey team.

11. P HERRICK - Feb 22, 2010 at 4:29 PM

THE YANKEES LOST, AND THEY JUST LOST THE RACE FOR 2010. WITH DAMON
    GONE JETER WILL FEEL THE HEAT AND WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO WHAT HE DID IN 2009. THEY WERE A TEAM AND WORKED TOGETHER. I LOOK FOR THE
    YANKEES TO PLACE THIRD OR FORTH. THEY WILL FALL APART AFTER THE FIRST TWENTY FIVE GAMES. WAIT AND SEE.

12. Nasty Boy - Feb 22, 2010 at 5:56 PM

I think you need to take a drug test. I’m not saying he didn’t help with his bat , and in the clubhouse, but he was starting to fail in the outfield, not to mention he couldn’t get the ball to the cutoff man.The Yankees are far from dumb when it comes to cutting ties at the right time. It was clear from day one they were not going to bring him back, thus the Granderson trade. The Nick Johnson signing would of told Ray Charles Damon was finished in NY. They are going to have a better defense , and better hitting, with the exception of Brett Gardner, who like last year will be replaced.The pitching is going to be better than last year. It sounds like your a Yankee hater, but it is what it is.As the Eagles song goes” Get over it “

13. Curious George - Feb 22, 2010 at 5:58 PM

“WAIT AND SEE.”
    Or hear, as I’m sure you’ll be yelling out updates as the season progresses.

14. Stone - Feb 22, 2010 at 6:26 PM

See, this is another example of those damn annoying updates to previous posts. Gone is the former (funny) title and now the post loses some of its luster. This follow-up post would have been better served to have been a stand-alone, serving as a punchline to the original.

15. Charles Gates - Feb 22, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Stone, we disagreed previously, but I see your point regarding the titles of these posts.
    But if I’m reading the time stamps correctly, there was just over an hour between the original post and the update. I think there’s a practicality balance that has to be managed. I’m not quite saying I totally agree with you, but based on cleverness of the titles, I also feel something was lost by the edit.
    RE: my stance on formatting, I like the more cohesive nature of the comments section in the update format relative to the new post.

16. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 22, 2010 at 10:06 PM

I see your point Stone (and yours Charles) but the problem I have is that to keep that old post on its own and start a new one means that I’d have a misleading post sitting on its own out there, for what passes for forever on the Internet. Lots of times it doesn’t matter, but there I was calling Damon out as basically a liar, based on something he said.
    He corrected what he said, however, and it would have been unfair to him for me to either not correct it or to correct in an incomplete fashion. People stumble on this blog (and any other blog) in any number of ways, and posts can hang by themselves out in the world without an updated post appearing next to them in context.
    Like I said, most of the time it doesn’t matter, but here I really felt it necessary and fair to correct inline like this.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4827)