Feb 22, 2010, 10:28 AM EDT
A kid sent a baseball card to Kevin Appier 15 years ago hoping for an autograph. He never heard back. Last week the card was sent back to his parents house with Appier’s autograph on it. My first impulse was that, not unlike Ringo Starr and Marge Simpson,* Appier simply had mountains and mountains of fan letters to get through and was methodically working through them all these years. Turns out that to be less glamorous than that: the card was sitting somewhere in the Royals’ offices all this time and it was just recently forwarded to Appier, who promptly signed it and sent it back to its owner.
This story confirms two things we’ve always known: the Royals are kind of a mess, organizationally speaking, and Kevin Appier is pretty much awesome.
(thanks to Ron Rollins for the link)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 62
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11