Feb 22, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
The Rangers signed Khalil Greene to a one-year, $500,000 deal this winter, hoping he could replace Omar Vizquel as their
utility guy. Ken Rosenthal reports some bad news, however:
Infielder Khalil Greene is again suffering from anxiety issues, leaving
the Texas Rangers short an infielder as they begin spring training. Greene, 30, will not report with the rest of the team’s position
players Tuesday and could miss significant time, according to
This is really, really sad.
UPDATE: The Rangers’ statement on Greene:
“The Rangers fully support Khalil’s decision to address this private
matter. Per club policy, we will not comment on his medical situation.
We have agreed to leave the door open for a continued relationship, if
both Khalil and the team desire that in the future.
“We have not put a timetable on a possible return to the club with
the sole focus right now on doing what we can to assist him. The
Rangers will continue to work with Khalil and his representatives to
monitor his situation and interest in rejoining our organization.
“Over the next few days, we expect that Khalil’s status will be
more clearly defined. We will also communicate the impact on the 40-man
roster once we’ve walked through our administrative options.”
Evan Grant tweets that the Rangers could either place him on the restricted list or void his contract. I don’t know anything special about the Rangers’ roster considerations or Greene’s health, but I can’t imagine them voiding his deal would help all that much with his anxiety . . .
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 36
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 40
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)