Feb 22, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
The Rangers signed Khalil Greene to a one-year, $500,000 deal this winter, hoping he could replace Omar Vizquel as their
utility guy. Ken Rosenthal reports some bad news, however:
Infielder Khalil Greene is again suffering from anxiety issues, leaving
the Texas Rangers short an infielder as they begin spring training. Greene, 30, will not report with the rest of the team’s position
players Tuesday and could miss significant time, according to
This is really, really sad.
UPDATE: The Rangers’ statement on Greene:
“The Rangers fully support Khalil’s decision to address this private
matter. Per club policy, we will not comment on his medical situation.
We have agreed to leave the door open for a continued relationship, if
both Khalil and the team desire that in the future.
“We have not put a timetable on a possible return to the club with
the sole focus right now on doing what we can to assist him. The
Rangers will continue to work with Khalil and his representatives to
monitor his situation and interest in rejoining our organization.
“Over the next few days, we expect that Khalil’s status will be
more clearly defined. We will also communicate the impact on the 40-man
roster once we’ve walked through our administrative options.”
Evan Grant tweets that the Rangers could either place him on the restricted list or void his contract. I don’t know anything special about the Rangers’ roster considerations or Greene’s health, but I can’t imagine them voiding his deal would help all that much with his anxiety . . .
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 1
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 29
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 44
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)