Feb 22, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
The Rangers signed Khalil Greene to a one-year, $500,000 deal this winter, hoping he could replace Omar Vizquel as their
utility guy. Ken Rosenthal reports some bad news, however:
Infielder Khalil Greene is again suffering from anxiety issues, leaving
the Texas Rangers short an infielder as they begin spring training. Greene, 30, will not report with the rest of the team’s position
players Tuesday and could miss significant time, according to
This is really, really sad.
UPDATE: The Rangers’ statement on Greene:
“The Rangers fully support Khalil’s decision to address this private
matter. Per club policy, we will not comment on his medical situation.
We have agreed to leave the door open for a continued relationship, if
both Khalil and the team desire that in the future.
“We have not put a timetable on a possible return to the club with
the sole focus right now on doing what we can to assist him. The
Rangers will continue to work with Khalil and his representatives to
monitor his situation and interest in rejoining our organization.
“Over the next few days, we expect that Khalil’s status will be
more clearly defined. We will also communicate the impact on the 40-man
roster once we’ve walked through our administrative options.”
Evan Grant tweets that the Rangers could either place him on the restricted list or void his contract. I don’t know anything special about the Rangers’ roster considerations or Greene’s health, but I can’t imagine them voiding his deal would help all that much with his anxiety . . .
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 43
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 98
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (98)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)