Feb 22, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
The Rangers signed Khalil Greene to a one-year, $500,000 deal this winter, hoping he could replace Omar Vizquel as their
utility guy. Ken Rosenthal reports some bad news, however:
Infielder Khalil Greene is again suffering from anxiety issues, leaving
the Texas Rangers short an infielder as they begin spring training. Greene, 30, will not report with the rest of the team’s position
players Tuesday and could miss significant time, according to
This is really, really sad.
UPDATE: The Rangers’ statement on Greene:
“The Rangers fully support Khalil’s decision to address this private
matter. Per club policy, we will not comment on his medical situation.
We have agreed to leave the door open for a continued relationship, if
both Khalil and the team desire that in the future.
“We have not put a timetable on a possible return to the club with
the sole focus right now on doing what we can to assist him. The
Rangers will continue to work with Khalil and his representatives to
monitor his situation and interest in rejoining our organization.
“Over the next few days, we expect that Khalil’s status will be
more clearly defined. We will also communicate the impact on the 40-man
roster once we’ve walked through our administrative options.”
Evan Grant tweets that the Rangers could either place him on the restricted list or void his contract. I don’t know anything special about the Rangers’ roster considerations or Greene’s health, but I can’t imagine them voiding his deal would help all that much with his anxiety . . .
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 2
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 37
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (91)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)