Feb 22, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
The Rangers signed Khalil Greene to a one-year, $500,000 deal this winter, hoping he could replace Omar Vizquel as their
utility guy. Ken Rosenthal reports some bad news, however:
Infielder Khalil Greene is again suffering from anxiety issues, leaving
the Texas Rangers short an infielder as they begin spring training. Greene, 30, will not report with the rest of the team’s position
players Tuesday and could miss significant time, according to
This is really, really sad.
UPDATE: The Rangers’ statement on Greene:
“The Rangers fully support Khalil’s decision to address this private
matter. Per club policy, we will not comment on his medical situation.
We have agreed to leave the door open for a continued relationship, if
both Khalil and the team desire that in the future.
“We have not put a timetable on a possible return to the club with
the sole focus right now on doing what we can to assist him. The
Rangers will continue to work with Khalil and his representatives to
monitor his situation and interest in rejoining our organization.
“Over the next few days, we expect that Khalil’s status will be
more clearly defined. We will also communicate the impact on the 40-man
roster once we’ve walked through our administrative options.”
Evan Grant tweets that the Rangers could either place him on the restricted list or void his contract. I don’t know anything special about the Rangers’ roster considerations or Greene’s health, but I can’t imagine them voiding his deal would help all that much with his anxiety . . .
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 5
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)