Feb 22, 2010, 3:10 PM EST
My friend Russ Smith, late of the Mugger column in the New York Press and currently the proprietor of Splice Today, is a big baseball fan. A fairly traditional one, however, as he doesn’t get too hung up on stats and sabermetrics and stuff. His teenage son, however and it has led to some communications problems between father and son.
Given that I’m a little older and a little more liberal arts-inclined than most Internet baseball writers, Russ asked me my thoughts on stats and stuff. So I gave them to him, blockquoted near the bottom. If you care about such things — and based on some pointed comments in recent weeks, some of you do — it’s probably the closest I’ve ever come to explaining how stats and I get along.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 60
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 22
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)