Our first Manny bein' Manny moment of 2010

Feb 22, 2010, 12:17 PM EDT

The L.A. Times’ Dylan Hernandez caught up with Manny Ramirez this morning. In the space of five sentences Manny (a) predicted the future; (b) said that predicting the future is meaningless and that he’d prefer to take things one day at a time; (c) said the game was “still fun to play”; and (d) said that he may retire next after this year:

“I know I’m not going to be here next year,” Ramirez said.

So you don’t think you will re-sign with Dodgers?

“I doubt it, I don’t know,” he said. “I’m happy to be here. I’m going to try to enjoy myself.”

Asked
what made him think he wouldn’t be in Los Angeles in 2011, Ramirez
replied, “I don’t know. I just know that I’m not going to be here.”

Did he see himself moving to the American League?

“I don’t know,” Ramirez said. “We’ll see. Let’s take it a day at a time.”

Ramirez said he wasn’t even certain if he wanted to play next season.

How much would you pay to be able to crawl into Manny’s head “Being John Malkovich” style?  $10,000? More?  I’m pretty sure I’d pay more.

1. Charles Gates - Feb 22, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Have you ever played the ‘Invite 3 People To Dinner’ game. It’s the one where you construct a trio to accompany you for a meal and you get to experience the conversational interplay between them. Seems like Manny Ramirez would create an interesting dynamic. Envision Bill James talking to Charlie Manuel about why the sub .300 OBP Jimmy Rollins doesn’t belong at the top of the order while Charlie slowly fires back, “But hay makes thangs happen. He’s our catty-list.” Bill turns to Manny with a ‘What do you think?’ glance. Manny responds, I doubt it, I don’t know. I’m happy here. I’m going to try to enjoy myself.

2. Jonny5 - Feb 22, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Craig, bad idea. Unless you want to emulate a lifetime movie rape victim shower scene???? You huddled in the bottom of the scalding hot shower, sobbing your eyes out, while you scub your skin raw with a loofa, crying out how dirrrrrty you feel,doesn’t sound too fun imo. How much are you willing to pay again????

3. Joey B - Feb 22, 2010 at 1:30 PM

“How much would you pay to be able to crawl into Manny’s head “Being John Malkovich” style? $10,000? More? I’m pretty sure I’d pay more.”
    You’ll be disappointed. There is nothing in there. And as a RS fan, I don’t say that with any malice. It’s the reason why he was such a good clutch hitter and Yankee killer. There were no inner constraints. There is none of the usual thinking that holds back most people. See ball, hit ball. It’s what made Mike Tyson great in the beginning. While the opponent is out-thinking himself, Manny Nad Mike are just waiting to hit something.

4. JB Early - Feb 22, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Top 5 Reasons Manny Won’t Re-sign w/ LAD
    5. He doesn’t like how he looks in Dodger Blue
    4. Too manny, er many bars in LA seem to only have men
    3. Can’t get those special Big Dopi protein shakes anymore
    2. He misses Fenway, specifically Green Monster men’s room
    1. He’s actually turning 50 this year

5. (Not That) Tom - Feb 22, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Re inside Manny’s head:
    Fortunately the Dugout does a pretty good approximation, free of charge.

6. (Not That) Tom - Feb 22, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Re inside Manny’s head:
    Fortunately the Dugout does a pretty good approximation, free of charge.

7. Chris - Feb 22, 2010 at 1:48 PM

See, this is the real reason I was upset when I learned that Manny-B-Manny had been taking HGH or gonadotropin or estrogen or whatever it was. It’s the only objective evidence that Manny is not, in fact, the Bodhisattva.

8. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 22, 2010 at 2:03 PM

How many of you can cut off a throw from your centerfielder while playing short left and fall down while making the cut off throw, ALL in one motion, that is what is going on in Manny’s head, can you even think about doing this.

9. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 22, 2010 at 2:04 PM

10. Charles Gates - Feb 22, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Not after reading that “sentence.”

11. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 22, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Get a life loser.

12. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 22, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Try being an adult and move out your mother’s basement.

13. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Feb 22, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Try being an adult and move out your mother’s basement.

Quoting for hilarity’s sake

14. Nasty Boy - Feb 22, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Can anyone imagine paying a guy with a 6th grade education 20 mil. a year. The best place for him is in Boston, they deserve each other.I hope this isn’t going to go on like the Damon thing did.

15. Old Gator - Feb 22, 2010 at 3:18 PM

You all understand, of course, that “being Manny” is just another politically correct euphemism for “asshole,” like “neocon.”

16. cabianni - Feb 22, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Good luck LAD…you got him, you keep him…..bipolarism and all…hope he doesn’t ruin your season….

17. RedSoxgirl - Feb 22, 2010 at 4:06 PM

I don’t think he understands English very well… or maybe he’s just that DUMB.

18. Rettop15 - Feb 22, 2010 at 4:35 PM

These are good comments. Most of ‘em are too sophisticated to yell them from the box seats.
    Manny’s just the Dizzy Dean, Bill Lee, and Mark Fidrych (hope I spelled that correctly) of this era, all rolled into one goofy package.

19. Omega in Colorado - Feb 22, 2010 at 4:41 PM

the best thing for the Dodgers would be to not re-sign this guy after this season.
    How many guys do you think they could sign that actually have the ability and desire to leg out a single?
    As far as his comment on maybe retiring after this season, he is probably just seeing the writing on the wall that no other team would sign him.
    Goodbye, good riddance, so long, don’t let the door hitya where Mother Nature splitya…

20. JoeT - Feb 22, 2010 at 4:46 PM

No thanks. We’re sending him packing before the end of the season, so look out, he might be coming your way. Don’t know what’s inside his head, don’t care. His job is to drive in and score runs, so let’s see what happens. If he performs, he will be a plus, and if not, it’s over.

21. Howard - Feb 22, 2010 at 4:48 PM

The modern day yogi, except yogi made sense.

22. Nasty Boy - Feb 22, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Have you ever heard him give an interview ? If so, you’ll understand your right on both accounts.

23. Luvheat - Feb 22, 2010 at 5:39 PM

who cares. Ramirez ripped L.A. off last year

24. Joe - Feb 22, 2010 at 5:47 PM

This will be his last year. The Dodgers have him signed for one more year and while the Dodgers went after him for this contract no other team did. The Dodgers bid against themselves while no other team wanted him {way over paid for him}. Dodgers could / should have had him signed for about $13 to $14 million a year on that contract. Now he is just a shell of his former self of 2 years ago worth less than Johnny Damon got from the Tigers and he was lucky to get that. Dodgers will not try to sign him again and other teams dont want him or the problems he brings with him. After this year no more Manny.

25. lifetime RSN member - Feb 22, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Manny being Manny gets old where ever he plays pretty quickly. I think it got old in the league and no one else will take him.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5461)