Park picked Yankees over Cubs and Nationals

Feb 22, 2010, 12:50 PM EDT

I agree with Craig that signing Chan Ho Park for just $1.2 million is a very good deal for the Yankees. He has a 3.29 ERA and 101/44 K/BB ratio in 120 innings as a reliever over the past two seasons and at the very least can be a good second-tier setup man behind either Phil Hughes or Joba Chamberlain.
Park was available at such a discount because earlier this offseason he turned down a one-year deal worth $3.25 million to re-sign with the Phillies, who then used that money on Danys Baez instead. Once returning to Philadelphia was no longer an option Park was apparently left to choose between lesser offers from the Cubs and Nationals, until his asking price dropped enough that the Yankees swooped in. Here’s Park to explain his decision:

I was deliberating on the Cubs and the Yankees, but their history and championship contention resulted in me picking the Yankees. Until last night, I was leaning toward the Cubs. I wanted to play for a champion-caliber team this year again. I am not certain how much longer I will play baseball, but it will be huge experience and memory to play with the Yankees.

Park has earned approximately $85 million in salary during his 16-season career, so the Nationals probably never had a chance.

1. Jonny5 - Feb 22, 2010 at 1:11 PM

What a dope,he tossed away 2 million because of his illusion that he’s starting rotation material….. As a Phills fan, this ticks me off to no end!!! He was so good from the bullpen.

2. YankeesfanLen - Feb 22, 2010 at 1:39 PM

I’m still ecstatic over this! Completely closes down the opposition in innings 7-9, if a starter fails Robertson or Gaudin or Aceves brings in the bridge, and the Universe scores the necessary runs.
    The Nation can “defend” all they want, bring Papelbon in to counter this.

3. Positively Half St. - Feb 22, 2010 at 1:41 PM

I am glad that the Nationals were in the conversation again. It is necessary for them to make some strides this season so that free agents are more likely to entertain their offers in upcoming seasons.

4. Jonny5 - Feb 22, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Ahhhhhh shyadappp!!!! ;>P

5. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Feb 22, 2010 at 2:40 PM

It’s okay, enjoy your new toy in Roy Halladay. Seeing him throw CG’s with

6. Nasty Boy - Feb 22, 2010 at 3:18 PM

All I can say is he’s a smart guy. This way he will probably be in the series again. He should of taken the Phillies offer, but being with the Yanks isn’t too bad as a second choice.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic