Feb 22, 2010, 3:50 PM EDT
Brendan Ryan annoyed the Cardinals by undergoing wrist surgery just two weeks before the start of spring training, but arrived at camp today and told reporters that “there’s no doubt” he’ll be ready for Opening Day:
If Game 7 [of the World Series] were tomorrow, it’s like no hesitations. There’s a little bit of inflammation in there but we’re talking about a little less than two weeks after surgery. I feel like it’s close. I’m ahead of the game, I would think. But we’re going to be careful. This has been bothering me for a long time. We’re going to make sure we get the range of motion. The most important thing right now is working through scar tissue.
Ryan has yet to begin swinging a bat, but had the cast removed last week and has “been doing a little bit of throwing with a weighted rubber ball.” Julio Lugo and Tyler Greene will get most of the shortstop reps in his absence during spring training and Lugo is the favorite to start on Opening Day if Ryan isn’t ready.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming